Kenya & Uganda Visas - Drop off/Pick up in NY/DC Consulates

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2006, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning on obtaining our Kenya and Uganda Visas prior to our trip. I live in NYC and commute to Wash DC weekly. Question specific to these consulates..

Kenya Consulate in NYC - If I go there in person with all forms, photos, money order etc. Can I just wait for my Visa? Pick up later same day? Or do I have to come back another day?

Uganda Consulate in DC - Same question, if I go there in person. Can I just wait or do I have to pick up later?

Looking for info/advice from others that actually went to these offices in person. Trying to figure out my timing of when I'm getting which Visa based on my commuting schedule.

Thanks!
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 04:55 AM
sandi

You should verify with the Kenya Consulate in NYC, but in the days when I obtained my visas prior my trips, the Consultate only accepted applications in the mornings. Pick-up was the following morning.

It worked, as once finished at the Kenya office, I walked over to the Tanzania office and repeated the process.

In total 3-days of 3 mornings.

I still have this option, but rather obtain the visas on-site, as I don't have to provide photos ($20-$25), a money-order and associated fee, as visa payment (they don't accept cash); don't have to pay carfare (subway or taxi) for three days of travel (not alot in the scheme of things)... and the time needed (more valuable).

The longest I've ever waited on queue on Kenya or Tanzania has been 20-minutes at any of the borders. No photos needed, they take my fresh $50; as to time, I'm already there.

Your choice. But do call the Embassies/Consultates to verify their turn-around time these days.

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:21 AM

I just went to the Kenyan Consulate in NYC yesterday. Was very easy process: All you need is $50 cash or money order per visa, the form filled out which is on-line, and your passport. It took 10 minutes or so. It's located at 866 UN Plaza (northeast corner of 48th and 1st).
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:25 PM
sandi

banker123

They take cash? And no passport-size photos required? And one visit only (you didn't have to pick-up next day)?

If so, I might reconsider for the next trip.

It's just so easy with both Kenya and Tanzania here in the City. If these are changes at the Kenya office, it's a good deal.

Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:40 PM

Sorry about that...on the form, they request a passport sized photo (that's what I meant about 'filling out the form'). They do indeed take cash ($50 per visa) and it only took about 10 minutes or so. They reviewed the form and then stamped the passport for the visa. Be sure to check the hours, I think they are only open from 8:30 am to 1 pm.
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 01:53 PM
sandi

banker -

Thanks. I thought photos were still necessary and that it was only certain hours. Though taking cash is interesting (at one time this was a no-no, money orders only). But to be able to get it returned while waiting... great.