Just saying hello

Jan 15th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Just saying hello

to my old buddies who love Afree-kah as much as me. Seeing that my travel wings have been clipped it's been too painful to hang out here. Did I miss much? Has anyone been arrested, any good fights or decent trips that are news worthy?

I've got some extra time on my hands and look forward to catching up on all of your trip reports.
Jan 15th, 2010, 05:14 PM

Fancy meeting you here!

I hope you'll be spreading your travel wings again soon.

If you click on my name, two recent reports should appear--one is about a white rumped monjita (remember that phrase for word games in the lounge) in Brazil and the other is about wearing orthotics to see primates in Africa. There is no plug for Dr. Sholes, honest.

While I considered these trips to be very "decent" you can decide for yourself. An interest in giant anteaters will increase the odds of a positive reaction.

I have not been arrested, but the night is young.
Jan 15th, 2010, 05:35 PM

Hi cybor welcome back to the forum again.

I was in Kenya,Tanzania and Zanzibar several months ago.

I did a trip report of you feel inclined to read it.
Jan 15th, 2010, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Lynn,
A white humped monjita and shoes - Sounds intriguing if you wrote it but I must say that your mention of anteaters has my attention.

Percy, I look forward to reading your report.
Jan 15th, 2010, 05:57 PM

Thanks cybor....... I read Lynn's report and followed the thread.

Nice to have you back here.
Jan 15th, 2010, 06:30 PM

I get to see cybor on FB ...Good seeing you here, too, as I've also been away from this forum way too long!
Jan 15th, 2010, 06:41 PM

"white humped monjita"

Actually it's rumped, not humped. This really is turning into another Christmas and New Years game.

Hope to have you hanging around here more often, Cybor!
Jan 15th, 2010, 06:41 PM

HI!!!
Jan 15th, 2010, 07:24 PM

Good to see you around
Jan 15th, 2010, 10:13 PM

Cybor, I missed you!

Nothing much new has happpened here, well other than the fact that all the Fodorites got together, pitched in all the cash we could come up with & bought Africa.

Leely had a fund raiser for her portion, she sold all the candles from her old candle-making days. It was very successful. Dennis silk screened a whole bunch of 'Angola - where all of the animals are' t-shirts for all of us to wear when we visit our continent from now on. Kavey has been appointed to become our official photographer for the continent and market the pictures for us. She is trying to get Andy, Johan and Cary99 to help out on that too.

Patty will eventually take over & run all of the airlines in our neck of the woods, while Lynne's job is to plan out all of the future trips for everyone who visits us there, making sure that everyone maximizes their animal sightings, goes at the right time of the year & enjoys themselves immensely.

Sandi, of course, is going to ensure that all hotels, camps, lodges & bush tents (even mobile) have working electric hairdryers and good lighting for make-up application. Shay Tay's job is to audit the books so that we don't cheat each other in this incredible partnership, while Safarimama has volunteered to lead each & every trip over to Afree-kah - and of course to document the wildlife in pictures for Kavey to sell.

Spassvogel has promised to check out each & every camp for us before we go to any of them, and make sure the owners are kept in line. She'll need help with that one though, so we will need a few more volunteers to work alongside of her.

We searched high and low for Rocco, but couldn't find him - we thought we needed a guy with a multi-pocketed vest to be king, but alas, no luck. Couldn't find him. We'll keep looking.

Percy, who lives in Canada and remembers Mr. Trudeau, is going to make sure that everything is in metric, & keep us all in line you know..... The line of course is a meter, not a yard. That's something you play in.

Divewop has volunteered to look after all the farms, both virtual and otherwise to make sure that everything grows properly. Joyce will run all of the camps cooking facilities, ensuring that we only use produce from Divewop's farms. Especially those delicious tomatoes.

And, we are looking for Nyamera to offer her a well-paid job of counting topis, but we can't seem to find her either. Must be out in the Mara somewhere, we'll find her yet.

And me? Well I got stuck doing the books for the continent, but in between that I do get to walk around with my tiny stapler and staple people's receipts together so that they don't loose them.

What we are planning to do with our newly-group-owned continent is anybodies guess though, we haven't decided yet. Soon we will all have a meeting to decide.

We just have to decide where to have the meeting. Want to join in?
Jan 15th, 2010, 10:53 PM

Lynda - very clever/funny
Say hi to Jim for me, tell him still I've yet to start on my latest DVD, soon (next month???), I'll be sending him a "beta" version for comment!!

regards - tom
big ps - above, who's in charge of the Amarula in morning game drive hot chocolate?? And the afternoon drive G&Ts??? If no else one wants too, I'll will, somebody has to do it!!!!
Jan 16th, 2010, 02:28 AM

LybdaS wrote:

>>Nothing much new has happpened here, well other than the fact that all the Fodorites got together, pitched in all the cash we could come up with & bought Africa.

Right. Sounds like a plan. I'm in. Who's with me?

J.
Jan 16th, 2010, 05:14 AM

> ...all the cash we could come up with & bought Africa.

Actually, that's already been tried, on a slightly smaller scale, by Leopold, King of the Belgians. In retrospect, it didn't work out so well.
Jan 16th, 2010, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Good to see all of you. Would love to join the Afree-kah group. Let's see, I was going to be the bartender but it seems like that job is taken. Can't offer fashion advice as Lady Keenya does that. I must dig deep to see what skills I can offer.

Lynn,
Hump, rump, bump. Truth be told, I first read that as a Mojitos. I figured it was some kind of kick a$$ drink that I was missing out on. Drink enough and you'll get.......
I don't get out much.
Jan 16th, 2010, 07:51 AM

Lynda, you must bookmark this masterpiece as a reference for new members to become acquainted with the all players, both new and old.

Cybor, look what you started with a simple hello. So glad you are back. You never give up on the word naughty games, do you? "Hump, rump, bump."

Rizzuto even chimes in with a brief history lesson.

Raise a glass of whatever kicka$$ beverage you are consuming for me, Cybor!
Jan 16th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Who said anything naughty, LOL.
I can now say that I know what a white rumped Monjita is despite it's unfortunate name. Well done report Lynn - I raise my chai latte cup to you.

rizzuto,
Perhaps borrowing Afree-kah may work better.

For the record I have 80% of the miles needed to get to Afree-kah.
Perhaps next year may work.
Jan 16th, 2010, 09:07 AM

Hi Cybor! Like you, my travel wings this year are clipped - and it's making me stir-crazy. But I do have a trip to Botswana in the early planning stages for next year - so that's keeping me going right now!

To the tune of "Take me out to the Ballgame":

Take me out to the delta;
take me out to the plains.
Put me in back of a land ro-ver;
I don't care if I ever come back.
Let me look, look, look for the animals.
If I miss them it's a shame;
for it's ellies, and lions, and wildebeest
that brings me back again.

Cyn
Jan 16th, 2010, 09:47 AM

Thank you for that 7th inning stretch Cyn. Even Harry Caray* would approve!

*Late announcer of the Chicago Cubs who always sang the traditional version of that song for the 7th inning stretch.