Just have 3 days in Nairobi

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just have 3 days in Nairobi

My wife is currently in Africa on business travel and asked if i wanted to come to Nairobi for a few days so this trip would be totally last minute. Any tips on what there is to do in Nairobi or close by and if its worth making the trip? Usually we do lots of research for this typ of stuff but this was dropped on me yesterday and i'd be there in a week and a half. Help!
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:29 AM

where are you coming from? that woud make a difference to me on if the 3 days was worth it.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Washington DC. Flying the long hours for me isn't the problem. Its more so the time limitations etc. The good thing is, her work covers the hotel and food. So its just the cost of the flight which i found for 1,300 USD which I didn't think was too bad given that it is with a departure date of only a little over a week away.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:52 AM

if you don't mind the long flights that's a great last minute airfare. there is plenty to see in nairobi, although it is also a very big crowded city and Kenya is much more enjoyable outside of Nairobi visiting the game parks. If your wife had time you could actually do flying safari to the Masai Mara for the 3 days.

If you do a search of Nairobi in the search box you should find a lot of info on what's to do. For some quick tips, there is the elephant orphange that is open from 11 am to noon daily for visitors. The girafee center where you can feed a girafee. many people like to tour the Karen Blixen museum.

i would recommend hiring a driver and guide even in Nairobi.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:32 AM

I agree with joeyi...a driver/guide would be a good choice for time spent in Nairobi, but it would be a shame not to get out of the city for a quick safari. I question your being able to get any safari accommodations at this late date, but it would sure be worth a try....it'd be a shame to go all the way to east Africa only to spend your short time there in Nairobi.

To joeyi's suggestions, I can add that others have enjoyed visits to the bomas of Kenya, Kazuri Beads and Utamaduni in Nairobi. In actuality, most of us have been able to visit these places in a 1 day city tour. I personally would find it hard to spend 3 days in the city.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:57 AM

In my opinion, and I have taken a lot of long weekend trips from New York, Nairobi (and I'm speaking about the city, not other sites in Kenya) is too far and too uninteresting to merit 40 hours of travel. If, on the other hand, you were able to visit the Masai Mara, Tsavo or Samburu, it would be interesting, but that would defeat having a free hotel.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 08:23 AM
sandi

That's a long way to go for 3/days. Sure, NBO can keep you busy for a day, maybe two, but if you could manage, at least a day to Nakuru or the Aberdares, it might be worth your while.

Your hotel should be able to arrange a day-trip somewhere within a few hours from the city. Have your wife check the hotel's Tour Desk to see what's available. If your wife can get away and as the hotel's been paid, no big deal whether you sleep there or elsewhere.

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 08:43 AM

My response would be the same as thit cho's. I would not go to Nairobi for 3 days as a tourist. I'd for 3 days at one of the parks.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 05:34 PM

I reluctantly agree with Michael tit cho and Lynn atravelynn. In and immediately around Nairobi itself I wouldn't say anything was worth the cost and travel... compared to elsewhere in the world. I guess the wife is working?

Having said that it would be incredibly romantic if you booked a return flight to the Mara for an overnight stay with a dinner in the bush under the stars.

Sending flowers would be cheaper, of course.