Search

Kiboko Safaris in Rwanda

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kiboko Safaris in Rwanda

Hello,

I posted last week about flying Rwandair - thank to all who responded! I am now working on trying to book a gorilla trip and would like to ask more advice.

I will be in Rwanda from 19-23 March for a work trip. But I'm told I can't leave Rwanda without seeing the Gorillas so I'm trying to organize a very quick trip to PNV. My best options, as far as I can tell:

1) Organize a trip on my own (arrange my own permits, etc.) - hire a car to take me to Ruhengeri in the afternoon, spend the night, trek the next morning, and arrange my own transport back to Kigali that afternoon.

2) Hire a tour operator who offers a quick one- or two-day trip and go that way. I've investigated a bit and Kiboko Safaris offers a one-day tour (leaving at 3:30 a.m.!) from Kigali to PNV and back for 545$US.

Sorry for the long-windedness! So here are my questions: 1) Has anyone had any experience with Kiboke Safaris? 2) Is a one-day trip to see the gorillas too much?

Thanks!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Never heard about Kiboke.

My standard response is that one gorilla trek is not enough. There is the very remote possibility that you do not see the gorillas and a greater risk that the weather conditions would be poor for viewing. So doing two trips is as close to a guarantee as you can get in nature that you'll have an outstanding gorilla experience.

But given your time frame, if you can only do one gorilla trip or none, then by all means do one. Odds are overwhelmingly on your side that your one visit will be a success.

The early departure is quite common. The 3:30 am seems extra early and it makes me wonder if you would be the first of many Kigali hotel pickups before departing for PNV. A 4:15 am departure is more common for a private trip.

If you can arrive the night prior to your gorilla visit, I'd strongly advise doing that so you'll be rested. But again if it's depart at 3:30 am or don't see the gorillas, then I say pack your bags the night before, set your alarm for 3:15 am, and stumble to the lobby on time.

A 3:30 departure, gorilla trek, and return in the same day is too much if there are other alternatives. It's too much if you are planning a vacation and cramming this in just so you can run from sight to sight. But if this bizarre schedule is your one shot at gorillas, then it is what must be done. Whoever gave you the advice that you cannot leave Rwanda without seeing the gorillas is right. You may be tired, but you can sleep on the plane.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:27 PM

A one day trip in not too much, your plan is fine... as long as you get one of the easier groups. Then you will be done before noon

If you get one of the hard groups you will be trekking all day and not be ready to leave PNV until after 4PM maybe.

Old Jan 31st, 2007, 09:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks much! I think I'm going to try the one-day tour and hope for the best. I think it's going to be too hard for me to squeeze in another day.
Old Jan 31st, 2007, 06:57 PM

Grommet19, Please report back when you return. Have fun and don't work too hard.