Johannesburg hotel

Jun 29th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Original Poster

Johannesburg hotel

We're looking for a nice hotel in Johannesburg to spend the last night of our honeymoon -- can anyone recommend somewhere? It'll be our only night in the city -- so somewhere central to all the major sights.

We're looking to spend $300 (U.S.) or less.

Thanks.
Jun 29th, 2004, 11:55 AM

I prefer the Westcliff, but you need to take a taxi to get anywhere. To what major sights are you referring?
Jun 29th, 2004, 11:56 AM

The Grace in Rosebank fits your budget and is very nice. One day will certainly limit your choices for sights. Are you getting in earlier in the day and/or spending the next day? There are many things to see in Jo'burg.
Jun 29th, 2004, 12:05 PM
sandi

Most of the hotels that would be appropriate for your last honeymoon night are NOT located in Johannesburg proper, rather in the northern suburbs of Sandton or Rosebank.

You can consider the Grace, Michaelangelo, Westcliff, Hyatt and a few others (names escape me right now).

Is it only the night or do you have a day for sightseeing. If the latter, there are a few postings by Judy-in-Calgary regarding things you can do during the day before your departing flight. Do a search under Judy's "author" name, or search under Johannesburg. The posts will appear on the left and you can read thru them.

From most of the hotels in the northern suburbs and depending on time of day, figure at least a 45-minute drive to the airport and, of course, the 2-hrs prior departure for check-in.

If you want something real close to the airport, right across from the Int'l terminal is the Intercontinental and from there you can arrange day-tours in/around JNB til departure.

Jun 29th, 2004, 05:31 PM

The absolute best centrally located hotel is undoubtedly the Michelangelo, located in Nelson Mandela Square (formerly known as Sandton Square).

Nelson Mandela Square is a huge mall with countless shops, restaurants and even a live theater. You will not need to take a taxi anywhere as it is literally within the huge complex.

Last year I stayed for two nights at The Michelangelo and enjoyed the hotel's wonderful restaurant, Picolo Mondo, as well as the neighboring Indian restaurant, Bukhara's. Bukhara's claims to have the best Indian Food in the world, and it proved to be some of the finest Indian cuisine that I ever tasted.

My wife and I also took in a theater production and it was like $12 per person for a live theater performance, and this was last year when the Rand was like 8 to 1 USD. So, even now, with the Rand at about 6.25, a live theater production would still only cost in the vicinity of $15 USD per person.

I would not hesitate for a second to return for a couple nights at The Michelangelo on my next visit to South Africa, especially if it is out of season for Cape Town.

Good luck.
Jun 29th, 2004, 05:46 PM

Dear Abastable,
I agree with Thit cho's what sites...for many Jo'burg is a transit point rather than a destination. I have spent time there with family but I've never taken to the city.

The only hotel I know in Jo'burg is the Rosebank which like the Michelangelo has the advantage of being close enough to a shopping area.

The Grace is in the same family as the Cape Grace hotel in Capetown and has excellent service, some of the best I have evr experienced. However it's a city hotel and doesn't have the more resort style facilities of a place like the Westcliff. I like the Grace but didn't spend too much to stay there. I guess it depends on what you're looking for.

PS Dear Roccco,
As ever I marvel, at your definative opinion!!!
Jun 29th, 2004, 07:51 PM

welltraveledbrit,

On my first visit to South Africa, in 2002, I stayed at the Rosebank Hotel, just a block away from the Grace Hotel. While the area may offer activity during the daytime, during the nighttime it is dead and a taxi is required, most likely to visit Nelson Mandela Square. Because abastable wanted centrally located, I do think that The Michelangelo fits the bill much more than the Westcliff or the Grace, although I am sure that both of those hotels are beautiful.
Jun 30th, 2004, 03:54 AM

Some good suggestions, and if you don't have a car the Michaelangelo is convenient being in the heart of Nelson Mandela Square and Sandton City. (BTW, I think I read that the Grace has been sold recently, but that doesn't mean that it is compromised in any way.)

One of my overseas business guests/friends stayed at Ten Bompas. We'd had drinks in the Polo Lounge of the Westcliff during his previous visit, he wanted to stay there but it was outside of his company budget. Take a look at www.tenbompas.co.za. You can scroll through the individually designed suites. I took a look at the one he had, and it was excellent, including a shower/sauna I think. I confess what impressed me most was not the free laundry service, but that mini-bar consumption was also complimentary! It also has an excellent restaurant ("Sides") judging from reviews I've read, I've not tried it myself.

Just some general advice that I found applied to Ten Bompas (where there was some kind of "Winter special" at the time) and also to some other five-star Jo'burg hotels. You will often get a much better rate (as opposed to the rack rate or even a published Internet rate) if you call (as I've done) or e-mail and ask what "special" they can offer.
Jun 30th, 2004, 10:43 PM

Arthur is right in that Ten Bompass is stunning, but the "downside" is that it's located in a quiet residential area. You will need to get in a car and drive anywhere. My suggestion is somewhere in the Sandton Central Precint, the Michelangelo is just within your budget figure but other options are the Sandton Sun or Sandton Intercontinental which are good hotels also connected to this area.

Search this Thread