Grace Rosebank (Joburg) report

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We stayed at the Grace in April one night and found it to be comfortable and attractive - of a very high standard. We weren't there long enough to give it an evaluation on all counts but we were very pleased with the service, breakfast was wonderful and the room was beautiful, although the shower stall was quite small. I had a little bone to pick with them about a service charge on some postcards they mailed for me (be sure to inquire if you choose to use that service) but they actually refunded my money when I expressed my displeasure. I got a good room rate for a Saturday night by booking directly with them via email. Highly recommended.
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 12:44 PM
Vette4Paris

And being at the Grace there on Bath Street, one can go down the street a block and enjoy the Sunday morning market on the rooftop. Wonderful place to shop for those last minutes gifts. The hotel is quite attentive to guests' needs, and we hope to stay there again when we revisit.

Old Jun 6th, 2003, 05:30 PM

We booked the Grace for our one night stopover between flights.It sounds like we made a good choice. Did you eat dinner their also? If so how did you like it? If not where did you dine? We are looking to eat somewhere right by the hotel as we won't have a car
Old Jun 6th, 2003, 10:25 PM

I am writing this from the Michelangelo Hotel in Sandton Square, Sandton, Johannesburg.

I stayed in Rosebank last year at The Rosebank Hotel, a block away from The Grace. While I am sure that The Grace is a beautiful hotel, the area does not compare to Sandton.

Sandton is very beautiful and very convenient for dining and nightlife.
Since arriving yesterday, my wife and I have had the opportunity to literally walk right outside the Michelangelo into Sandton Square where there are beautiful shops and very good restaurants and even a theater.

Our room at The Michelangelo, a Premier Luxury Suite is absolutely beautiful with 2 bathrooms, a living room, walk in closet and a wonderful view.

Also, the restaurant at The Michelangelo is very elegant and the food wonderful--I just finished an African breakfast of Ostrich Eggs and Chipotla Sausage (warthog) along with all the fixings (freshly squeezed orange juice, spinach, potatos, wonderfully fresh fruit including pineapple grown in the Eastern Cape (I had to ask the restaurant manager where South Africans got their pineapple from since in my limited American mind I figured that all pineapple came from Hawaii, Central America or Southeast Asia).

I am having a wonderful time thus far and will be leaving for my Soweto tour in just about half an hour. Last night we were able to walk just outside the hotel and see a hilarious show called The Green Mamba at the Liberty Theater, a very small and intimate theater in Sandton Square that holds no more than about 150 people.

We have had no need to take a taxi anywhere as everything is right here to enjoy in Sandton Square.

The Michelangelo should definitely be considered at the top of anybodys list when choosing a hotel in Johannesburg.
Old Jun 9th, 2003, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

We had less than 24 hours in Joburg after 12 days on safari, so we were more interested in shopping at the Rosebank market on Sunday than any sightseeing (the market was the only real shopping we did in Africa and we heard so much about this market we saved ourselves for it - well worthwhile. Note: I bought a doll for my niece for about USD20 and just saw one nearly identical in my mall at home for USD290!) We did not eat at the Grace, except breakfast, but I would not recommend the restaurant we did eat as it was only average. The hotel will be able to recommend something nearby I am sure. Have fun!