Jo'burg hotel choice - please help me

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If I have a choice between the Westcliff, Grace or Michelangelo which should I choose? I have seen very mixed reviews of the Westcliff. That is where I can get the best rates.
Old May 7th, 2006, 09:24 PM

Shazip,

If you want to enjoy shopping and fine dining, then I would suggest the Michelangelo or the new Michelangelo Towers (every room is a suite).

The Grace looks like a great alternative if you just want someplace luxurious to chill out for a night.

The Westcliff does offer great low season rates but, as you mentioned, it has had mixed reviews.

Of the three, I have only stayed at the Michelangelo but I enjoyed my two night stay very much and would not hesitate to return.
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:11 PM

Michelangelo is conveniently located in Sandton, the new "CBD" of Johannesburg, adjoining a shopping mall with access to many dining options in & around the area. The Grace is a boutique hotel located in Rosebank also close to shops, shopping mall & dining. The Westcliff is in the suburbs and will require a shuttle to anywhere and not in walking distance. If it's personal attention, attention to detail that you are looking for, then recommend the Grace. Michelangelo is a large, modern hotel but facilities & access to other facilities is better choice. The Grace usually wins awards. If you go with Michelangelo, try out Lekgotla restaurant in Sandton Square for African dining (more vibey over weekends). Westcliff would definitely not be my first choice. If it's about rates, there are a host of other hotels in the Sandton area e.g. Balalaika (4*), Sandton Sun & Intercontinental (5*) and a host of Holiday Inns (3*) across from Sandton City, the mall. Hope this helps.
Old May 7th, 2006, 11:20 PM

Hi

I can't help you with the hotel question I'm afriad. I went to South Africa a couple of years back and I stayed with family in Joburg. I have posted a trip report with some pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com/johannesburg_...frica_2004.htm that might be of some interest. Get in touch if you have any questions or comments.

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Old May 8th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Lin

hmmm my post didnt show up so I'll post it again, sorry if it eventually appears twice. I would like to recommend the Grace Hotel in Rosebank. It's smaller and cozier than the Westcliff and the staff are better trained and extremely responsive. Rooms are smallish but there is really plenty of room. The hotel is connected by a walkway to a series of modern shopping malls, including restaurants (not fine dining but there is a nice restaurant right in the hotel). The mall includes a large and comprehensive African crafts store, and on Sundays, a market. Have stayed at the Westcliff and although nice I prefer the Grace. Can't remember what else I wrote 5 minutes ago!
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:36 PM

This May will be my fifth stay at the Grace in the past five years, so I'm hopelessly hooked on everything about the hotel. It is intimate, beautiful and the staff is attentive. The massage after a long flight is to-die-for. I highly recommend the Grace.
Old May 9th, 2006, 04:41 PM

girlpolo,

When you stay at The Grace is it usually just for a night, or do you stretch it to a couple nights?

I intend to staty at The Grace, after beginning my next trip with 3 nights at Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge. Probably not the best way to recuperate from a journey from Los Angeles, but it was the only way.

Sabi Sabi Earth Lodge (3)
The Grace (1)
Chobe Chilwero (2)
Ntwala Island Lodge, Caprivi Strip (2)
Sususwe Island Lodge, Caprivi Strip (2)
Kwando Lagoon (2)
Kwando Lebala (2)
Kwando Kwara (3)
Chiefs Camp (2)
Baines Camp (2)
Michelangelo Towers (1)
Old May 9th, 2006, 06:06 PM

The Michelangelo Towers looks interesting, but their website isn't working well for me -- I can only see a few pictures of the exterior -- the links for the room images and details aren't working. Is this just happening to me, or is it a problem with their site? Is the hotel open or still under construction?
Old May 9th, 2006, 11:32 PM

If you happen to be staying at the Grace on a Sunday, go to the African Crafts Market on the rooftop of the parking garage of the Rosebank Mall next door...great shopping!
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:02 AM

The one that is called the African Crafts Market is open all week. The adjoining and much larger flea market (to which ShayTay is referring), the "Rooftop Market" is open only Sundays and public holidays.
Old May 10th, 2006, 09:58 AM

I was very disappointed with my recent stay at the Westcliff and my stay at the Grace a couple of years ago was fabulous! I haven't been to the Michelangelo but I can easily recommend the Grace.
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:02 PM

Rocco, I've only stayed at the Grace for one night on each trip. However, I find it extremely difficult to leave my beautiful room!! ALSO, I've become a complete Botswana-phile. Do you think that a trip to East Africa is a 'must do'? I value your opinion, but realize I may have to wait until after your upcoming Botswana trip.
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:36 PM

girlpolo,

(Okay, East Africa lovers please do not read on)

I am only qualified to speak on the Northern Circuit, and keep in mind that Tarangire is not at its best during the time of year I visited. Although I absolutely LOVED the Ndutu area (could have stayed there a week, instead of only four nights), I did not find to be the other areas as much to my liking as Zambia or the Sabi Sand. If not for the luxury of the Ngorongoro Crater Lodge and the Lake Manyara Tree Lodge (both of them being CCAfrica properties), I would not have especially missed these areas. However, as this may be something that is only appreciated by the luxury safari-goer, these two lodges absolutely made visiting these areas worthwhile, while staying at lesser camps/lodges, would not give me the same overall opinion of these areas.

However, I am dying to visit Southern Tanzania (Ruaha, Katavi and Selous), as well as Mahale. These will be fly-in locations, rather than doing an overland safari as is most common along the Northern Circuit.

I am really looking forward to Botswana, although I know it will be hot in December.

Thanks for your feedback on The Grace. It looks like a great place to rest up for a night after the Sabi Sand and before touring Botswana.
Old May 10th, 2006, 08:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your in-put everyone. It sounds like the Grace gets a better vote.
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:20 PM

Thanks for sharing your impressions of East Africa, Rocco. I look forward to reading your Botswana trip report in December!