Cape Town

Oct 7th, 2005, 02:30 AM
Original Poster

Cape Town

I am going to Cape Town in 3 weeks and I think I am suffering from information overload I dont actually know anyone who has been to Cape Town and am relying on guide books and the internet for advice on where to stay can anyone tell me what area is the best place to stay for value and safety and the most accessible for shops reaturants etc.
Also if anyone can recommend a good value for money hotel this woul be most helpul. Aslo what is the best way to travel from Cape Town Airport to your accommodation
Oct 7th, 2005, 05:36 AM

The waterfront is quite a "happening" place and attracts many tourists: If that is what you are looking for The Portswood is an inexpensive hotel and located there.

There are other choices too, which if you had given more info on yourself, needs, wants etc I could recommend.

Getting there from the Airport is about a thirty minute drive and there are cabs available at the airport.
Oct 7th, 2005, 08:49 AM

Harley22

I would recommend that you stay in either of the following sectors of Cape Town:

Waterfront:
-----------
The Waterfront is none other than a shopping mall with many sideline attractions like The Aquarium, the Nelson Mandela gateway where you board to go to Robben Island, The Maritime museum as well as shopping, shopping shopping. If this is what grabs you then stay at the Waterfront and I agree fully with mkhonzo that the Portswood is the best value for money hotel that is close by. http://www.legacyhotels.co.za/asp/ho....asp?hotelid=3

You could also look at the sister hotel to the Portswood viz. The Commodore which is slightly more upmarket. http://www.legacyhotels.co.za/asp/ho....asp?hotelid=2

Camps Bay.

This is where the ritz and glitz happens in Cape Town. It is a "to be seen area" however you will also find locals who just like the beach atmosphere in the area frequenting Camps Bay. Lots of restaurants to choose from as well as some really good guesthouses. Be aware though that locals call Camps Bay the "Rip Off strip". Enough said in this regard. To recommend a guesthouse in this region would be futile until you give us an idea on the board as to how much you are prepared to pay for accommodation. There is a hotel in the area called the Bay Hotel which really is not worth writing home about. If you post your budget constraints in terms of accommodation costs I, and I am sure others, will advise further.

Sea Point.
----------
Some good guesthouses and boutique type hotels in this area which is close to the city, Waterfront and is also on te sea. Once again when I know your budgetary levels I will be able to advise further.

City Centre or Gardens.
-----------------------
Very close to or in the city itself. Many boutique hostels and some really nice guesthouses in the area. The beauty of this area is that you can generally walk to the city however you will need transport be it a cab or car hire to make your way to places like Camps Bay etc.

As I have already said once you have told us your budgetary requirements we will certainly be able help you much more in terms of accommodation suggestions

I think that Mkhonzo’s advice about cabs from the airport is sound however one point that I want to add is that if you are a group of 4 or more I would suggest that you book a shuttle as this will work you out to be cheaper and more efficient, not that there is any problem with the efficiency of the cabs at the airport.

Last point: I am not sure if your Fodors name is such because of a love for Harley Davidsons but if you are a fan there is quite a good, but as they all are all over the world viz Expensive, Harley Davidson store in the city centre.

Hope all of the above helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Oct 7th, 2005, 12:31 PM

I second the recommendation for the Portswood. We stayed there in June and it was wonderful. The waterfront area is fabulous and the hotel is comfortable with wonderful service.
Oct 7th, 2005, 01:48 PM

We returned from Cape Town last week. It is a beautiful city. We stayed at a wonderful guest house in the Garden district called Welgelegen. It is very near Kloof St. where there are many good restaurants. You would need to take a taxi downtown, but they are not very expensive. Fiona, the owner, and Kirsten, the manager are very helpful. They will recommend restaurants, make reservations, call taxis, etc. We were glad to be away from the Waterfront which is very touristy. You can Google Welgelegen's web site.

Search this Thread