Where to stay in CapeTown?

Jun 25th, 2002, 12:28 PM
jennifer

Where to stay in CapeTown?

What area of Cape Town is the best to stay in? We may rent a vehicle for driving around the wine district etc but would like to stay somewhere that is safe and nice to walk around in the evening to find restaurants, entertainment, etc. We can't afford and area where we need to spend a fortune on a hotel room but moderate prices are fine.

Thanks!

Jun 25th, 2002, 03:57 PM
Lisa

The Waterfront area is the safest and most convenient from the point of view of walking out of your hotel and being where the action is, but that is also where the most expensive hotels are to be found. We have found that having a car in Cape town is a must anyway and it is an easy city to drive yourself. Therefore, you can stay away from the Waterfront and be there in 5 minutes.
There are hotels in Sea Point, Greenpoint, Three anchor Bay, Clifton, Bantry Bay and Camps Bay which would better fit your budget. Bantry Bay, Clifton and Camps Bay are absolutely beautiful areas. I would use these as starting points in a search. Try google and then type in Cape
town accommodation. If you are not going in high season (Dec through Feb) then rates are better.

We like to stay at the Sir Francis which is a 5 minute drive from the waterfront. But you do need a car.The rates are good and it is a comfortable condo style hotel. Do a search here as well. I have posted about it before.

Jun 30th, 2002, 07:22 AM
james

Try Winchester MAnsions in Seapoint. I've not stayed there but have heard a couple of good reports. Cheap too.

Jul 6th, 2002, 08:57 AM
lb

Winchester Mansions was also recommended to me by a South African friend when we were in Cape Town. I personally did not like the V&A Waterfront--thought it too manufactured. Many of the hotels in Cape Town have secure parking--often free or low cost--and it is fairly easy to get around (at least if or once you get used to the left side driving)

Jul 9th, 2002, 05:42 PM
Gee

We stayed at the Holiday Inn near the Waterfront. It was quite nice. They offer a free shuttle to the waterfront every 1/2 hour i think. The staff is top notch, the restaurant is not bad. It was also located near many shops and marketplaces. Also not far from the tourist office. While there, we used several local tour companies for our daily excursions. I'll try to find the brocheurs and get back to you. We didn't really need a car. I must say, while there make sure to visit a small but wonderful restaurant/bar/club called Mama Africa. They have live music many nites.Our hotel provided us a wonderful view of Table Mountain, the Lions Rump and Signal Hill. Clifton as someone mentioned is a vefy nice area as well.

Jul 10th, 2002, 07:53 AM
laughingnomad

My husband and I have just spent a month in Cape Town. We stayed in Green Point area in the charming little "village" of De Waterkant, a 7 block area about 5 minutes by car up from the Albert and Victoria Waterfront Mall. We rented from Village Lite and stayed in an apartment for $40 a night but they have a lovely lodge and many other non self catering units. They come highly recommended. There are a couple cafes within walking distance. We think you really need to rent a car in Cape Town-you don't just "walk around" in the evening unless you are next to the mall or you are staying downtown in the Holiday Inn or a place like that. People just aren't out walking around at night -everyone takes a car and pays a car watcher on the street a couple rand to watch their car while they are away from it.

Jul 11th, 2002, 09:52 AM
jennifer

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the advice on NOT just walking around on the waterfront.

Gee, I am wondering if you remember what you paid for your room at the Holiday Inn and I appreciate any info from your brochures that you can find.

Thank you!

Aug 23rd, 2002, 11:46 PM
Lorraine

I was travelling alone and stayed at La Splendida because it is located on the bus route that takes you directly to the Waterfront. I found it safe there and well located---near the ocean.
Would stay there again.

Sep 1st, 2002, 11:55 AM
Sue

Breakwater Lodge is a excellent place to stay, right on the waterfront.
Good value.

Search this Thread