Is it safe to travel to Egypt ?

Jan 11th, 2019, 06:17 AM
Original Poster

Is it safe to travel to Egypt ?

Needed help concerning my trip next March to Egypt (Luxor, Cairo, Sharm Seik), I wonder if any traveller have been to these places to tell us some tips on what to visit and what to avoid.
Would appreciate any help
Jan 11th, 2019, 07:21 PM

We visited Egypt this past March. We hired Memphis Tours and felt very safe every where we went. Our guides knew where was safe, what to avoid, how to walk the gauntlet of souvenir merchants, where to have an authentic meal etc.
Jan 12th, 2019, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Michele for your honest answer ! I would like to know if I'm obliged to have a guide or I can do it by myself ?
Jan 12th, 2019, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by travellerpro12 View Post
. . . I would like to know if I'm obliged to have a guide or I can do it by myself ?
I was in Egypt on my own (72, American woman) for almost a month a year ago. I travel independently as a rule but, since many of the historic sites are outside towns, I engaged guides in Cairo for 2 days and in Luxor for a day. I was also provided guides by the cruise company during 3 days at sites along the way between Luxor & Aswan. The rest of the time, including extended stays in Luxor & Aswan, I happily explored sites such as Luxor & Karnak Temples, both in town, at my leisure without a guide. Unless you're pressed for time or uneasy on your own I suggest hiring guides and/or drivers as you feel you'd benefit and think about having a good percentage of your time to do as you like, a great luxury in my opinion. At no time did I feel unsafe, even in areas off the tourist track where I stayed in an apartment in Luxor and in my wanderings there & in Aswan. You can get an idea of the variety of places I visited in the descriptions I've written, far more diverse, I have no doubt, than if I'd traveled on a package tour: https://www.travelgumbo.com/blog/portmoresby-in-egypt