Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Marian Sobhy - Excellent tour guide in Cairo.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I spent 2 days in the Cairo area, at the begining of March 2011. We knew well in advance that we didn't want to travel alone in that area. We googled to find private tour guides and found Marian. We were still apprehensive because we have never done anything like this before. Well Marian answers her emails quicker than anyone I know. She answered everything that we needed to know ahead of time.

When we arrived in Cairo, we were greeted promptly by Marian and each morning she was there right on time. With Marian we got a good overview of Cairo, Memphis and Giza. She must have gotten tired of all of our constant questions, but she never let on. She just answered all of them patiently. Marian exceeded our expectations and we would not hesitate to recommend her to anyone. We would love to tour again with her.

Her Website is www.touregyptguide.com
Her email is [email protected]

Rebecca
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 01:48 PM

Too bad that you didn't use our favorite Fodorite, Casual Cairo (Debbie) who is incredibly helpful to all of us both online and in person who have visited Cairo and Egypt!

Interesting that this is your first post ever?
Old Mar 20th, 2011, 06:43 PM

It would be great if you could offer your observations of Cairo considering very few tourists have been there since the revolution. Did Marian take you to Tahrir Square? How were the crowds at Giza? How did you find her? I follow Cairo forums and this is a new name to me. More details would be very helpful..since few people just visit Cairo did you go elsewhere in Egypt...thanks.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

I have been to Cairo for just 3 days and highly recommend going to Cairo right now!! I have felt completely safe and have not had any problems at all. All of the tourist destinations have been void of tourists, which has given us unique opportunities. although sad for the Egyptian tourist industry, a brilliant time to visit the sights without any queues. We went to the pyramids and the Egyptian Museum in Tahir Square where we were two of only a handful of people viewing Tutankhamon's treasure!
There are tanks all around the city at all of the tourist destinations, but I want to stress again that it did not make any of us feel unsafe at all. In fact, the people in the tanks were sooooo nice to us, wanted to take pictures with us, and everyone was saying, "welcome to Cairo, thank you for coming "
We googled to find private tour guides and found Marian, we were very lucky to hire her as our tour guide.

Rebecca
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 09:19 AM

Thank you...it really does sound like a great time to be there and it is good that you can provide first hand reassurance as I think many tourists need that now.
Old Mar 21st, 2011, 09:48 AM

dutyfree - thx