Inreresting Developments in Tanzania

Jun 29th, 2008, 02:11 AM

Jun 29th, 2008, 04:01 AM

This is very unfortunate.

While I understand the angst of the family, I do know Nairobi and I think it is unfair reporting to link Thomsons to the murder.

I was in the area just 3 weeks ago with a Maasai friend and we asked a lot of questions.

It is true that local landowners are very unhappy with land sales done by people who do not represent the owners (a complex history).

Several agreements are being challenged (not just Thomsons).

I am unfamiliar with the details of the Thomsons deal and subsequent actions and cannot comment on it.
Jun 29th, 2008, 08:37 AM

After reading the last article you link to I think it's really stretching things to link this killing to either Tanzania (he was killed in Nairobi) or Thomsons. Sounds like he didn't want to pay $40 for cab fare so he either walked or took a bus with a transfer in a dangerous locale late at night. Not a real smart move, even for a local.

Probably a robbery gone bad, though you wonder about the 3,800 shillings left behind ... maybe the robbers got the main things they were after (computer and $45,000 worth of camera gear) and were interrupted before stripping his shoes etc.

Bill
Jun 29th, 2008, 08:48 AM

Sounds like he didn't want to pay $40 for cab fare

Sorry, that should be $12 instead of $40 ...
Jun 29th, 2008, 08:50 AM

this is some of the worst reporting I have ever seen or heard about. The loose relationship that they are trying to tie to Thomson is something that any responsible reporter would never dare do. The quality of reporting needs to be better thought out.
Jun 29th, 2008, 08:52 AM

There are a few posters on this board that seem to wish for these stories to be true. I am glad that they are not judge and jury, because noone would ever receive a fair trial.

Too bad there isn't better reporting on the issue.....
Jun 29th, 2008, 03:57 PM

won't speculate to what and why.
it's all too sad and words cannot describe my feelings as this is news the country simply don't need.
hope the assassin gets cought but i doubt that will happen.

such a waste of life and talent!

i am feeling with the family and friends......

div
Jun 29th, 2008, 09:12 PM
sniktawk

I for one wish that murders were not true, but this one was. If you know that the reporters are just speculating and everything is false perhaps you could communicate this to those who would like to know i.e. his family.

Jun 30th, 2008, 04:34 AM

sniktawk,

I don't usually get involved in these discussions, but I have to on this one. I don't think anyone is disputing that this was a murder, only questioning whether it is linked to Thomson Safaris. It's understandable that the family is looking for answers and that they would wonder if there was a connection, but to post these links as an update on the land purchase by Thomson Safaris isn't fair. (Yes, I know, life isn't fair, but let's try for fairness anyway.)

Jun 30th, 2008, 04:49 AM

I am glad somebody else realized this and pointed it out. This is a horrible tragedy, and is not the time for rumors to be flying around on the free press' web sites. Now is the time to get real answers.
Jun 30th, 2008, 06:30 AM
sniktawk

My profuse apologies for linking this to the persons named in the articles, it is clearly nothing to do with them. Thay are as you must be aware rabble rousers from New Zealand and USA.

Jun 30th, 2008, 02:40 PM

Andybiggs,

Thanks for helping clear this up.

I too agree its probably pretty far-fetched that Thomson's Safaris had anything to do with the young mans' death.

But do you know if there's any truth that Thomson's "forcibly removed some Maasai from their land"?

If that were to be true, it would be equally sad (in my opinion).

Andybiggs... please shed some light on this if you can as your perspective is much appreciated.
Jun 30th, 2008, 05:48 PM

all i know is that the land was purchased legally, with title, from a brewing company. The land is being managed to help benefit the local communities through tourism, and there have been no people living on the property to forcebly remove. There is a woman who feels slighted by the purchase, and is making a stink. That's about all I know. This has been reported, but also more incorrect data has been thrown into the mix along with it. I don't speak for Thomson, but I am a frequent and loyal customer. I have been to the property, and it is a very nice area to visit.