Information about the drought situation

Mar 18th, 2006, 01:54 AM
Original Poster

Information about the drought situation

Hi,
We are planning a trip to Kenya & Tanzania towards the end of May/beginning of June 2006. We have recieved very diverse reports about the conditions in the game parks due to the drought. One of the reports we got said thousands of animals have died. Could anyone who has been there lately throw some light on the situation there and advise whether it's wise to go there this year or postpone by one year.
Mar 18th, 2006, 04:34 AM
sandi

There has been drought and some animals have died, but much of this is the cycle of life which can change from year-to-year. Recently, there has been rain, and the plains in many places are as green as a golf course and the animals are doing just fine.

While end-May is still in that window of the long rains, you may have some rain (or not) as it seems this years wet seasons are somewhat skewed. But as of now, much is back to normal.

By postponing, you have no guarantee that next year will be any different - can be wetter or drier. There are never any guarantees when it comes to the weather or as to where animals will be found.

If you have confirmed space now, I'd go for it. And remember, if you postpone, the prices will be that much higher for 2007, and you still won't know what kind of weather you'll have a year from now.

The last few trip reports on this board have indicated a bit of everything, weather-wise, but game viewing has been outstanding (even in drought areas).

Mar 18th, 2006, 10:29 PM

My fiancee has just sent me a note from Kenya which reads "Rain in the north after two years God is good. "
Mar 19th, 2006, 11:30 AM
bat

That's good news.
Mar 19th, 2006, 12:45 PM

The only place I saw drought conditions on my recently completed northern circuit safari to Tanzania was in Lake Manyara. The Serengeti, both in the Ndutu area and in the area north of Seronera, where carpeted in green and it rained daily.

Had I been spooked by all the talk of drought and cancelled or postponed my trip, I would have missed out on a great safari.
Mar 20th, 2006, 04:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks People for your replies. You have convinced us to go ahead and do the trip this year. Will post on how it all worked out when we get back. Thanks again
Mar 20th, 2006, 05:48 AM

It is raining like crazy in the Serengeti now!

Search this Thread