Migration

Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Migration

I was wondering if anyone can share the status of the migration this year. We are visiting in February and I am wondering what is expected this year. I understand that Kenya has had some terrible weather but am not sure if this is in the Mara or further north.
Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 12:05 PM
sandi

What do you mean by terrible weather?
Drought, rain, hot, cold? What month?

If looking for the Migration in February, you won't find it in Kenya. You have to go south to Tanzania, where the wildebeests are calving their young on the southern plains of the Serengeti.

Expected and what is, is just a guestimate based on previous years. But that is still no guarantee where the herds will be, when they will arrive/depart from any particular area. The Migration is a living thing that changes from month-to-month, week-to-week, day-to-day, even hour-to-hours. Your best bet is trying to be in/around the area where these herds can be expected and hope to have unlimited mileage from your outfitter to venture forth to find them.

Old Dec 2nd, 2006, 06:22 PM
santharamhari

Yeah, lots of rain NOW. But, it wont impact your trip in Feb.......

Hari

Old Dec 4th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I meant floods by "terrible".

We are going to Tanzania so I am sorry if I left the impression that I thought the herds would be in Kenya in February.
Old Dec 5th, 2006, 06:01 AM
sandi

Last Spring (06) after the drought, there was flooding up north in Kenya. A number of the lodges on the Ewaso Nyiro River had to refurbish a bit of their properties. Then again, a few weeks back there was some flooding in the same area, but it was only 1/day of flooding. Sadly, on this last incident few people died, but apparently not camp/lodge guests. Flash floods can happen anywhere which are even worse when falling on very dry earth that can't soak up the water.

In February, not likely to have such, but you never know. It's the dry season so you should be fine in the Mara.