Drought in East Africa

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drought in East Africa

I am planning a safari in Kenya and Tanzania in October, but am concerned about the impact of the drought. Can anyone help? If I need to cancel I have to do it by Monday to avoid a penalty. Thanks for any feedback you can give me.
Old Jul 28th, 2006, 07:34 AM

"planning a safari in Kenya and Tanzania in October, but am concerned about the impact of the drought."

We spent two weeks in Tz in January 2006 (northern circuit) and the effects of the drought (2 or 3 years, depending on who you asked) were pretty apparent. But starting in March they had some very heavy rains (shutting down the highway from Arusha to Nairobi, for example) and when we returned for 10 days in April we had rain every day in the Serengeti. At Ndutu they've kept records for the past 20+ years and this was their wettest April ever, so at least for this year the "long rains" have returned.

"If I need to cancel I have to do it by Monday"

I would definitely not cancel, it should be better this October than it has been the past couple of years!

Bill

Old Jul 28th, 2006, 08:01 AM
sandi

Don't cancel.

For this year the drought is over.

In fact, they actually had some rain in the Mara a few days ago - short, but unusual.

Weather like game viewing offers no guarantee, besides, if it is dry, the game will congregate at water supplies so it's easier to find them.

Old Jul 31st, 2006, 05:55 PM

Do NOT cancel. I was also very concerned about the drought before my trip. I returned 2 weeks ago from Northern and Southern Tanzania. Yes, a few months ago there apparently were some problems. But guides told me that now it was back to about normal after (as Bill H says) the rains in March-May.

I am no expert on this, but I think the most severe drought was (is?) in Northern Kenya.
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 05:55 AM

Definitely do not cancel. The rains in April and early May were pretty awesome. Too much rain for some circumstances if out on safari, but great for the locals. I had not seen it that green (i just got back from TZ) in about 4 or 5 years.

Hooray rain!
Old Aug 1st, 2006, 06:09 AM

We just got back from the Mara where there was some rain on Wednesday & Thursday. On Friday Nairobi had quite a bit of light rain too.

Imelda
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies, and the encouragement. You'll be glad to know that I didn't cancel, and I'm very excited about going!
Last week I got my yellow fever, typhoid and tetanus shots, so now I'm really committed!
Old Aug 8th, 2006, 04:50 PM

ann_nyc - After your innoculations, you're also ready to work an after-hours bar in the East Village. ;-)