Hotels in Johannesburg

Aug 13th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Hotels in Johannesburg

My husband and I are heading to South Africa on a belated 20th Anniversary trip. We are staying at a private reserve (Zulu Nyala) for six days/six nights. We are arriving on September 24 (early morning) in Joburg and will stay overnight there before going on to the reserve (late morning). We are looking for a nice, reasonable hotel with easy access or shuttle service to the airport.
Also, we would appreciate any suggestions for spending the day in Joburg and dinner suggestions.
Thanks
Martha
Aug 13th, 2007, 07:28 PM

I stayed at the Intercontinental a couple of years ago. It is right at the airport. It was quite nice and very convenient. I think it has since changed names. I have also stayed at the Grace Hotel. It is exceptional, but not cheap. And, it is not close to the airport. Lastly, In June of this year I stayed at the Southern Sun. It is very close, and you can get a free shuttle from the airport. It is reasonably priced, and while my room was a little tired looking, it was clean and comfortable. The lobby is very nice, there is a restaurant in the hotel, and they even had complimentary wine and cheese in the lobby in the early evening. I have heard that there are two sections to the hotel, and one area may have been renovated. Someone I met on my flight from Johannesburg to Windhoek said his room was actually quite nice.
Aug 13th, 2007, 09:30 PM

Hi Martha,

the Airport Grand Hotel has a free shuttle and is within about 10 minutes of the airport, http://cybercapetown.com/GrandHotel/

Cheers,

Pol.
Aug 14th, 2007, 08:26 AM

I've stayed at the Airport Intercontinental which had excellent service and was literally across the street from the airport terminal.
Aug 18th, 2007, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Treepol,
I took your advice and booked a room at the Airport Grand. It looks lovely and the rates were just what we were looking for.
Thanks again,
Martha
Aug 18th, 2007, 03:46 PM

I have stayed at the Airport Grand before and I am staying there again in a week. Its nice, clean, convenient and less than 1/2 the price of the Intercontinental.
Aug 19th, 2007, 11:49 PM

I stayed at the Westcliff Hotel - gorgeous - but I dont' recall how far from the airport it was. I have more info and pictures at http://www.bombasticlife.com