Hotel at Victoria Falls - suggestions welcome

Jun 19th, 2015, 03:51 PM
Original Poster

Hotel at Victoria Falls - suggestions welcome

We are researching options for a hotel in the Zimbabwean side of Victoria Falls. We are looking for a nice boutique property or a place with history and character that is walking distance to either the falls or the town. The two that come up most seem to be the Victoria Falls Hotel and the Ilala Lodge, but I am open to other ideas. Thanks.
Jun 20th, 2015, 03:53 AM

I stayed at the Victoria Falls Hotel a few years ago, and it was OK.

It's a big, old-fashioned, colonial-era type place that's been modernized in some ways, not so modernized in others. The location is certainly excellent: easy walking distance to the park for the falls viewing. It's got sprawling grounds and several mediocre-but-acceptable places to eat. My favorite parts of staying there was the occasional wildlife that came to visit -- baboons that stop by to steal anything not nailed down, and banded mongoose that cavorted regularly.
Jun 20th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Don, thank you. Appreciate your feedback.
Jun 20th, 2015, 02:14 PM

We stayed at the Ilala Lodge in June of last year. If you stay there, ask for a room with a terrace. The couple who went with us, actually had to go downstairs (almost like a basement) to their room and didn't have a terrace. They said it wasn't as nice as our room.
I would rate the hotel as 3.5.

Ilala is within walking distance of the falls. From the Ilala we walked over to the Victoria Falls Hotel and had lunch on the beautiful patio. Loved the grouds there.

So if you're staying a night or so, Ilala Lodge is fine. I think the grounds at the Victoria Falls Hotel were prettier.
Jun 20th, 2015, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

PatandHank, thank you for the comparison. Decisions, decisions...
Jun 22nd, 2015, 06:53 PM

We booked The Kingdom at Victoria Falls for September.
Jun 23rd, 2015, 09:59 PM

we just stayed at the Kingdom mentioned above ... it wasn't our style (the style of OP's question) but it was a perfect location next to the V.F. Hotel. We liked the breakfasts... and asked for a room at the back, so that we had a 'natural' view of the land behind (lots of baboons). The hotel is big and lush and disneyland-like... but we liked our room with a balcony looking out.
Jun 24th, 2015, 03:49 AM
Original Poster

Appreciate the feedback on the Kingdom. Based on available options, interests, and costs, we are leaning towards the Ilala.

Search this Thread