Help with weather

Aug 9th, 2005, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Help with weather

First thank you all for your photos, trip reports and advice. It has helped us sooo much. However I am still struggling with the weather issue. We will arrive in Nairobi Sept 2nd.

We are visiting Lake Nakuru, Masai Mara, Serengeti, Ngorongoro, Lake Manyara and returning on Sept. 13th.

We have lived in Florida for 25 years so are used to hot weather.

My guide books tell me it will be rather cool there by our "Florida" standards, but yet on this board everyone talks about the heat??

Am curious if anyone has visited in Sept and can give me an idea of what "hot" is?

Right now in Florida it is 92 degrees in the day and 78 at night.

Thanks for your help
Aug 9th, 2005, 07:46 AM

I think many of the discussions about heat have been about October and onwards in areas like the low valleys of Zambia or Botswana, not so much about Kenya. And if you are used to being outdoors in Florida you are certainly prepped to deal with hot weather!
Aug 9th, 2005, 07:47 AM

I live in Florida also & going to Kenya Sept. 6th - 17th. I've been reading the weather forecasts there & they are saying about 75,76 day & 55,56 at night so that is not hot to me. A little cool perhaps.
Aug 9th, 2005, 08:41 AM
sandi

Because Kenya & Tanzania are relatively on the Equator (a bit north or south) the weather is generally constant year-'round. That is to say, the day temps are in the 70-80 degrees dring the day, while the nights and mornings are cool. And the higher in altitude, even coolers, i.e, the Ngorongoro Crater rin at 7,000-ft.

You can expect the temps to be in the mid-70s during the day. But with September technically being Winter in the southern hemisphere, the mornings and nights can be in the low 50s or cooler.

Be prepared with layers of clothing and peel off as the day goes along. If you will be at camps that use open vehicles, don't hesitate packing a scarf, a hat, gloves and socks. And a termal-t works well under t-shirts, flannels... and some sort of heavy sweather or windbreaker for the top covering. When these vehicles take off, the wind picks up and can be downright cold. If in closed vehicles, this isn't that much of an issue, but better prepared then uncomfortable.

Hope this helps.

Aug 9th, 2005, 12:25 PM

Hi Regg & Linda,

I will be in Kenya/Tanzania from 9/4 - 9/22 so might bump into you. I am coming from Central Cali - it has been over 100 degrees for 21 straight days now - so I am looking forward to the "cooler" weather.

One difference however - E.Africa is on the equator. Although the temp is cooler, the direct overhead sun can be penetrating. Wear lots of sunscreen...
Aug 9th, 2005, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone--am difinitely going to pack some warmer clothes
Aug 9th, 2005, 04:08 PM

At www.weather.com, you can see historical averages, highs and lows.
Aug 9th, 2005, 04:22 PM

Yes, but the usefulness of this is limited by the location you are going to visit. For example, you can get info about Lusaka, but not about South Luangwa and Mfuwe, and they are considerably hotter. Most of these countries don't have many weather stations!
Aug 9th, 2005, 05:08 PM
bwanamitch

Forecast Mfuwe Aug 10
Clear. High: 89 F / 32 C Wind ENE 6 mph / 10 km/h

Forecast Narok (near Masai Mara) Aug 10
Clear. High: 80 F / 27 C Wind ESE 4 mph / 7 km/h

Forecast Narok (near Masai Mara) Aug 10 Night
Scattered Clouds. Low: 57 F / 14 C Wind East 6 mph / 10 km/h

Mitch

Aug 9th, 2005, 08:50 PM

Bwanamitch, I did find current info , but I couldn't find for Mfuwe was seasonal averages by month--for example for October or November. Is there a source for this?
Aug 10th, 2005, 06:41 AM
bwanamitch

Weather Averages for Mfuwe:
http://www.weatherreports.com/Mfuwe,.../averages.html

Mitch

Aug 10th, 2005, 07:39 AM

OK, I checked the "averages" for a bunch of places I have been, areas I know people who live there. I think there are real problems with using this data for holiday planning.
Mfuwe, just as an example. Friends who live there tell me that October and November temps at midday are often 40C/104F. And that it is still hot at night. The averages of course won't show the high days--averages always lose this.

I also checked out other seasons when I have been there, and again it doesn't match. During May for example, during the last two years (I was there pretty much the whole month, including part of June) the night time temps never got as low as these "average lows" and the daytime temps were considerably higher too. I considered it on the warm side of comfortable. It was typically in the low mid 80s by 8am, and in the low 90s by about 9 or 10am.

October isn't called "suicide month" in Zambia for nothing! And these numbers don't reflect that at all.

I think the "average temp" is pretty useless in areas where day/night temps swing alot, and even the "average highs" and average lows are too homogenized to be of much use. Temps are just not that consistent there. I also wonder about their sources of data.

Some of the other locations seem to provide better data. I think it was Maun that posted average number of days when temps were above 90F-- this is far more useful. Of course in Botswana, depending on location, they very regularly have temps over 100F, but this is not reflected anywhere in the chart.

BTW, this discussion has nothing to do with the original question about Kenya...I think SiestaLinda has already received good advice about that.
Aug 10th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Just for fun, do a google search on something like: temperatures October "suicide month" ...see what you find, and compare that info to the weather charts.
Aug 10th, 2005, 09:08 AM
bwanamitch

tashak,

Regarding the data source: as far as I know all the daily weather data come from WMO-registered weather stations (WMO: World Meteorological Organization) and should always be the same on different weather websites, at least for Africa, because all these data are public domain. The weather stations are mainly located at airports or airstrips.

Mitch

Aug 10th, 2005, 09:36 AM
bwanamitch

tashak,

Regarding the 'high' temperatures: these are not the highest temperatures for that location but only the highest of the transmitted data. For instance, if a weather station only transmits data each three or four hours, you only get the real highest temperature if one of these transmissions take place at noon.

Mitch

Search this Thread