have you ever taken a nile cruise?

Aug 5th, 2009, 04:07 PM
Ivy
Original Poster

have you ever taken a nile cruise?

at the risk of sounding like a lush - My tour company told me that the nile cruises often experience a shortage of wine and alcohol and I should think about bringing my own wine!!. I look forward to a nice dinner with wine and a cocktail after a day of touring. Should I think about bringing my own?? seems nuts but wanted to poll the fodorites and see if anyone has had experience with this?? THANKS
Aug 5th, 2009, 04:42 PM
P_M

On my Nile cruise the booze kept flowing. They make good money from alcohol sales to lushes like you and me ;-) so if they run out of supplies, that's not very good management.
Aug 5th, 2009, 04:54 PM
Ivy
Original Poster

thanks PM - nice to hear! I am taking the Sonesta st george. which ship did you take?
Aug 6th, 2009, 03:52 AM
P_M

I believe it was the Crown Jewel. It was a very nice ship. I hope you will enjoy your cruise, and I bet they'll keep a good supply on hand.
Aug 6th, 2009, 05:30 AM

Doubt the Sonesta would run out of elbow-bending liquids.
Aug 6th, 2009, 07:04 AM

Hi Ivy,
I took a seven day Nile cruise with GCT and they had plenty of wine. Like you, wine is an important part of dinner for my wife and I and they offered Egyptian wine and also the French wine of the day. Believe it or not the Egyptian wine was pretty good.Also, the bar was open each evening with no shortage.
Aug 6th, 2009, 10:56 AM

Ditto what's already been said. Our 7 night cruise had more than could be consumed as well as lots of variety. If any ship runs out of wine, they stop at several locations where I'm sure the staff could restock. I think you've been given misinformation.
Aug 6th, 2009, 06:51 PM

Knowing the Egyptian's, particularly the nubian people (Aswan) they will bend over backwards to make sure whatever you need is supplied by the bucket load. I have been on a few nile cruises and have been on jeep safari in the Desert, never once have I needed something that they didnt have for me, or get for me. One time a guest on the same cruise as me had lost all her baggage, our tour rep Mohamed, managed to source her everything she needed - even underwear! So I think you will have no problem with wine

Have a great time

Scotsgirl
Aug 8th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Ivy
Original Poster

this is all great to hear! thanks so much to everyone for the input
Aug 10th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Ivy
Original Poster

Thanks Scotsgirl - this is really helpful! we're going for a celebration trip and want to be able to live it up!