Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Ghana :Need to learn any & everything! Accra...

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2011, 06:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going on a month long trip, with a small group studying drumning and dance. Pretty much all expenses paid, but what can I expect ? Any or all help appreciated. i am flying into accra, ive heard from other sources to definetly watch my luggage is this true? Other than that is there anything i have to worry about while i am there? Thankyou very much.
Old May 1st, 2011, 06:54 PM

Hi Rapotap
I was in Ghana in April for 2 weeks and loved it as I am sure you will. Stayed mostly in Kumasi with my foster daughter and new grandchild so I was not exposed to the possibility of luggage theft, etc. The house did have lots of locks and a high wire topped fence though.
Saying that, unless you have very expensive jewellery/electronics, I think you will be safe taking normal safety measures. I do not think you will loose your clothing as most Ghanians I met were far better dressed than anyone at home and the girls all wore killer jewellery ( and high heels).
Be aware that western type food can be very expensive and restaurnant service a bit slow. And as a foreigner you will not get the best prices at the markets. But the bargaining is still fun.
Before you leave be sure to check out of the clothing/fabric outlets called "Woden". Just the best for modern African fabrics and outfits. May have to buy an extra suitcase though.
Enjoy your trip and let us know how the drumming and dance goes.
Regards Elaine
Old May 2nd, 2011, 07:29 AM

I spent two weeks there a few years back. We stayed in the outskirts (Supermarket Junction). I found the people to be very friendly and the prices of item to be very low. We had contacts in Accra, so stayed at their house, otherwise we stayed a small hotels and some lodges. Travelling by tro-tro is an experience and something you will remember. We used them to get around Accra as well as for inter-city travel. Cabs are another good choice. Bargaining is expected (except for food and lodging).
Safety was not a concern, I was with 2 women and while they were noticed, nothing untoward..a policeman asked one of them to marry him.

We went as far north to to Ho Hoi, along the coast east of Accra and along the coast west of Accra. In Accra we visited along the ocean, and went to one of the larger markets.

What are you plans for outside Accra?
Old May 3rd, 2011, 08:14 PM

Take your malaria pills!We have had two of our fellow crew members die from malaria as a result of Accra layovers.
Old May 25th, 2011, 09:53 AM

I spent five months in Ghana and will be returning as soon as possible.

What people wear in Ghana is very much dependent on what area you are in. I spend my time in the Akuapem Hills and people are well dressed, though not as fancy as ElaineAust described. That occurs more frequently in the cities, such as Accra and Kumasi. Even then, it depends what area you are in. If you are in Kokrobite, there is a mix, based on tourists vs locals.

Don't assume that as a foreigner you will not get the best prices at the market, as this is only true if you allow for this to happen. Before you try bargaining for anything, try listening to locals doing their bargaining, or else ask help of locals who are not selling or who you make friends with. It is really easy to make friends in Ghana, as they are extremely friendly, so once you have made friends, you will easily be able to get the obibini prices, instead of obroni prices.

If a Ghanaian asks you or someone else to marry him, like Michel_Paris said, this just means they want to be your friend. They don't actually expect you to marry them in most cases. I usually just respond that I will be their friend if I don't know them. If I know them, I'll go with it and it turns into a joke about how many boyfriends and husbands I have in Ghana.

As for Malaria, layovers won't cause it, infected mosquitos picking you will. Take all necessary precautions (aired out rooms or mosquito nets, bug spray with a minimum 25% deet and your malarials) and you should be fine.

Lastly, I will say that a month is not long, I would expect that you might end up either extending your stay or else planning a return trip!
Aketekre
Old Jun 8th, 2011, 01:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for these responses, Aketekre, dutyfree, michel, and Elaine. That's a lot of info. Have found out that we will be staying at the Dream Hotel in Kokrobite. Not sure where all our meals will be from, though. Just got my yellow fever shot today, and was told at the clinic that typhoid may be a good idea - what do you think? I have heard different opinions on this. Malaria pills, yes - will surely do that!But - can't drink the water? Or have ice in drinks, or eat salads or peeled fruit. would little trinkets or useful items or gifts be nice to bring to give away to kids?
Thanks for everything!
Old Jun 9th, 2011, 05:41 PM

I would NEVER go to any country in Africa,India and South America without getting the various shots or taking pills. I would definitely recommend getting typhoid-the live vaccine in pill form will cover you for 5 years versus the shot for only 2 years.Make sure that you have your Hep A and Hep B shots too.

I have had various layovers in Senegal and South Africa where we use to bring pens/school supplies for the children. The only problem with that is that sometimes the older kids will literally beat up a younger/smaller one to get the trinket.One of my flight attendant friends actually brings school supplies directly to the schools and sponsers one school by solicting funds from us in the US for uniforms for them.Personally I think that a group gift such as school supplies,soccer balls,etc. is the best idea!
Old Jul 25th, 2011, 07:03 PM

These posts have been so informative for me. I am thinking of taking a birding trip to Ghana at the end of this year with Venture Birding out of North Carolina. One of the hotels we will be staying at is Mole Hotel--anyone have experience there? Would love to hear any other observations.