Search

volunteer travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2012, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
volunteer travel

I started to look into the different opportunities available to volunteer preferably in Europe or Costa Rica. Has anyone participated in any of these programs? I would appreciate any comments, suggestions and impressions. You can inbox me as well if you prefer.
Thanks.
Old Jan 31st, 2012, 05:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
What type of volunteer work do you want to do?
I have done some volunteer work for the US Forest Service.
I also donate an hour most Mondays helping little kids learn to read.
You certainly do not have to leave the country to do something meaningful.
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 04:31 AM

Have done a lot of this over ther years and continue to.
First MANY scammers here never pay middle men to "volunteer" they prey on you and the poor people.

Also it is wise to give careful thought to best way to volunteer.Haiti doctorswithoutborders.org one of the best
to really make adifference right now I have been involved for decades there. www.HH4honduras.org helping underserved Mayans in a Hospital I equipped a few years back 2 of the best ones I know.

One should not take a job away from a local many are like this.For fluffier work www.latortugafeliz.com in CR is good
if you want to help animals.

For South America [email protected] www.guanguiltagua.com great local well known
for helping the poor there.

Just be very careful most high priced volunteering without a stipend schemes are almost ALWAYS scams middlemen get the gold mine and you and the poor folks your are trying to help get the shaft.

My rule of thumb get astipend and expensespaid never pay more than $100/wk to "volunteer"

Good luck and caveat EMPTOR!
Old Feb 1st, 2012, 11:32 PM

What length of commitment are you thinking of? Peace Corps was a great experience for me long ago.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 12:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses. I looked into some of the suggestions. I seem a bit old to do any of those things. I will keep looking. I also have a time constraints with only 2 weeks. I could teach but I do that all year and wanted to explore other possiblities.
Old Feb 2nd, 2012, 02:02 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
The program that I use to volunteer for Forest Service projects is Passport in Time (PIT) (Google). I'm 62 and a few of the other people I have worked with are older.
There is a variety of archeology, repair to existing structures and painting jobs. If you have access to an RV or tent, you often can have free camping close by.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 01:29 PM

I did a short stint at a Haitian orphanage some years ago. It was quite a meaningful experience but there are lots of issues involved, and I wouldn't do it again. If you have specific skills to offer--nursing, for example, or mechanical engineering, it could be time well spent. But as Quovadis suggests, if you are going to 'help' by doing something locals could do as well or better, a cash donation that could be used to hire someone locally could be much more helpful. I realize in retrospect that the amount I spent on airfare alone would likely have paid the wages of a local nanny for many months. And I do wonder of the impact on the children who have so many people coming in and out of their lives who don't know the language or the culture, and are not able to offer a long term relationship .

Of course these reservations would not apply in the same way to the sort of experience tomfuller suggests. Also, some organizations have "study tours" which allow you to learn about the work they do with a clear understanding that the money you spend will be used locally, others in supporting it.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 01:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your insights. I was afraid of that. I suppose back to the drawing board. Next stop on this forum...cultural/literary travel. I would love to be able to do something rather than just meander my way through one country or another. I adore seeing new places but can't stand running from one sight to another.
Old Feb 3rd, 2012, 02:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"can't stand running from one sight to another"

Pick a town or city and rent an apartment for a week or so. Do day trips, visit the library, shop in the markets, hang out in the cafes...
Old Feb 4th, 2012, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

To Thursdaysd - that is my favorite way to travel. Never enough time!
Old Feb 5th, 2012, 06:59 AM

If you only have two weeks and fancy Britain then have a look at this:
http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/holi...king-holidays/
Old Feb 8th, 2012, 08:53 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
You can try this organization for a blend of volunteering and cultural exposure:

http://www.crossculturalsolutions.org/

My daughter and I have traveled/volunteered in Tanzania through them the last 3 summers.

It is not cheap, but safe and well-run.

Your costs are tax-deductible.
Old Aug 17th, 2012, 08:49 AM

Hi friends,

CDS Rural Education Development Organization (Vietnam) is looking for interested volunteers who would like to share their time and talents with the staff and students of our school. Volunteers strengthen and enrich educational programs and foster greater cooperation among all the partners in our rural school community.

Our school welcomes volunteer involvement in a variety of areas and capacities. Volunteers may provide short term or long term commitment to carry out maximum support in improving capacities, knowledge and skills through informal education to give them opportunities access with high quality educational service, enable them to become the excellence farmers and leaders of their local community, Volunteers derive a great sense of fulfillment and satisfaction from their work and our school life is certainly very much enhanced by their generous efforts.

ABOUT US

Established by CDS, Rural Education Development Organization is a non governmental education organization operating in the North of Vietnam. Its goal is to help disadvantaged children and young people realize their potential by expanding collaboration with international volunteering human resource, international development organizations, donor groups, member governments and civil society.

Rural Education Development Organization carries out maximum support in improving capacities, knowledge and skills through informal education to give them opportunities access with high quality educational service, enable them to become the excellence farmers and leaders of their local community.

BLENDED LEARNING PROGRAM

Our Blended Learning Program is to help these teenagers realize more of their potential and enjoy expanded capabilities to address the increasing global social, economic and environmental challenges we face on. This will be done in real work situations and organize training courses about the Essential Successful Living Skills. They include:

•Maintaining a positive outlook

• Setting and managing goals

• Finding a source of self-motivation

• Making the best use of time

• Effectively managing income and resources.

• Solving problems creatively

• Presentation skills

• Creating and holding on to your vision

• Receiving guidance from your heart

• Being willing to embrace change

• Communicating your ideas

• Collaborating with others (Especial English skills is strongly focus as an effective tool for the integration and globalization)

WHY PROGRAM NEED YOU

No one person can do everything, but each of us can do something. We need to find something that moves us and act on it. We have ongoing needs for volunteers with different backgrounds. reflect the rich diversity of a global community in race, all are united by their common desire to help others. Taking part in this program, international Volunteers can help with different activities:

• Assist the local staffs in developing and implementing educational games about Essential Successful Living Skills

• Organizing practice English lessons for rural youth, improving capacity to use English as an effective tool

• Help organize seminar series, seminar subjects, conferences, forums and short- term training courses, within the frame work of the center

• Support the school for other activities to be realized with students

AT A GLANCE

Minimum program length: 02 weeks

Accomodation & food: Furnished comfortable accommodations at the International Guest House, including a shared kitchen and Internet capabilities We provide 03 meals per day for free. We also provide home-stay with local families.

Work hours: 5-6 hour per day.

Fee: No require, but volunteer must cover Flights, Insurance, Visas by yourself .

CONTACT US
CDS Rural Educational Development Organization
Add: Suite 304 - Hoang Quoc Viet str - Ha Noi - Vietnam
Email: [email protected]
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 11:31 AM

cadip.org would be of interest.