Garmin Worldmap - SA/Tanzania

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2nd, 2007, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Garmin GPS that I primarily use for marine charts.

We are going to Tanzania and South Africa (Capetown) and was considering installing their Worldmap product. Unfortunately the viewer on the Garmin website is inoperable so I can't check out how much detail there really is.

I am not expecting a Capetown streetmap as I know they have a specific South Africa product. This is too expensive for a 1 week visit.

Has anyone any experience with Worldmap for Tanzania and South Africa?
Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 04:30 AM

I would like to see any experience with the World Map as well.
Chuck
Old Feb 5th, 2007, 10:44 AM

ttp
Old Feb 6th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Garmin finally got their Worldmap viewer working. I have decided not to purchase as the information is pretty sparse. Ok for the really main roads but not much else. To be fair, I think this is what they advertise. I was hoping for a positive surprise.
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 03:07 AM

Anything new on this topic? TTT
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 06:04 AM

Which Garmin?
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 06:48 AM

The Garmin 76CSX was the particular model. It takes an SD card or can data via USB upload. I was hoping to get a CD with cartaography and/or waypoints for East Africa and Botswana (and perhpas Zambia). I am limited by a very slow dialup connection (remote part of Virginia in the U.S.) so I cannot count on any large download. Mostly they time out after 15-20 minutes. Garmin South Africa had listed a CD/SD package but the SA distributor will not even return my emails. Impossible to purchase here in the U.S.. I would rather be able to use cartography along with raw waypoint info. if possible. Any thoughts??
Regards-Chuck
Old Aug 19th, 2007, 10:15 AM

Have a look at the T4A digital maps www.Tracks4Africa.com See if you think you may like that. IF you get timed out on downloads, then you can ask them to mail you a CD. If there is any problem in getting this to happen, let me know. Besides, the cost of these maps is surprisingly inexpensive.

I have the whole works now for several years. Any questions---
luangwablondes at juno dot com
I don't have a financial interest in it, but I am a contributor. A few other fodorites are also btw. One of its short comings is that it doesn't have much in the way of waypoints for many of the upmarket camps and tracks to them. But, it has a lot of the main tracks that camp,s tracks branch off of. The reason is that no one has contributed those as of yet. So you could do that if it floats your boat. Patty, scubatv, and BwanaMitch are a few that have done this.

Have a look at Google Earth. They have a Tracks4Africa layer under featured content. With your slow connection, you may need a little patience to have all the tracks focus in.

Old Aug 19th, 2007, 10:38 AM

luangwablondes,
Thanks this is really helpful. I have two safaris planned for 2008 (Tanzania & Botswana) and expect to get a bit of the beaten track.
Regards-Chuck
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 09:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
hi, john

during our recent stay in CPT, we met a couple who were borrowing a car with GPS fitted. it had taken them 60 monutes to get to the base of Table Mountain as the GPS told them they were 599kms away from it! in the end they turned it off and used a map.

we on the other hand had no GPS, and used the map I'd bought on amazon- the insight fleximap to CPT and environs. It was excellent - very clear with street names and area maps as well. we never got lost and could find places very easily.

Less than U$20 I think - i paid less than £10.

regards, ann
Old Aug 20th, 2007, 10:19 AM

Auto routing and Bitchin' Betty. What a combination. The stories I have heard about people following blindly Betty's commands without checking the route.