GPS usage in Tanzania, Zambia & Botswana

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have any of you used GPS while on Safari. In particular, I am thinking of using a Garmin 76CSx GPS unit and purchasing the "Garmap Africa Road Atlas (v.2)" which includes topo information for nearly all of East Africa and some South Africa. This software is available on either a CD for download from a computer or an SD card containing all the data can be purchsed and intalled directly into the unit. In particular, I am interested in how this Garmap software compares to the software available from tracks4africa.com.za ?? I remember that Eben had some experience but not sure how much and if he is even in a place to see this post. If anyone has had experience with GPS in the regions I indicate in the Post Title, please let me have your thoughts. We are doing some planning on our next Tanzania adventure and plan to get off the beaten track (with a guide however). The Garmap software is not available for purchase in the U.S., however our wonderful travel agent has offered to pick it up on her next trip to Joberg. Any info appreciated.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 11:40 AM

You will find that Tracks4Africa has the best coverage, especially its remote track recordings. Several factors help keep it a better product. It is updated monthly, contributors are sending in their tracks constantly to be included in T4- this improves the accuracy of the existing roads and tracks, while adding previously non recorded ones. Also, its adds a dimension that no other product has on the market, a considerable amount of information regarding types of road and track infrastructure and the points of interest.

Something a bit surprising. It is rumored that Garmap has literally 'borrowed' some tracks and roads to fill in gaps in their coverage. And in a couple South African forums where Garmap and Tracks4Africa are based, the general consensus from those who have had both, is that T4A is the better product. Even by its international subscribors and contributors.

If you have an idea where you are going, look in Google Earth, as much of the major roads and tracks can be seen there, although with very little of the accompanying information available in T4A purchased product. Be sure you have the latest download and have checked the T4A box in layers.

Its true that Eben has commented that the early tracks in Tanzania does not seem accurate. This could be the result of several problems in recording. I have no idea of where the problem lies, but with multiple recording and many of the contributors using the correct settings and antennas for increased accuracy in recording, much has been done to negate any previous inaccuracies. I can't comment about Ebens recordings and not my place, but Eben and I have discussed these issues a couple times. For your usage, it should not be a problem.

Something that may interest you- T4A will accept recordings of your Garmin Tracks for inclusion in T4A if you chose to do so. Patty, ScubaTV, BwanaMitch and myself are just a few who have made contributions.

An added benefit is that T4A can be downloaded over the internet, so you don't need to bother anyone to assist you.

If you know where you are going in Zambia, I can probably answer anything you need to know about the T4A. I have the the December contributors edition( in its entirety) and am reviewing the Zambia for some information errors. As far as that goes, I can most likely look at the Bot and Tanz part for any of your questions.
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Original Poster

Luangwablondes,
Thanks for the quick and detailed reply. I was reviewing the maps T4A shows on their website but they must be samples of their lowest scale (least detailed maps). For example they show only a single map for all of Tanzania? I'm a bit hesitant ot download on the internet because of the not so good dialup connection that I must deal with (38 Kbps). That's on a good day. I understand that Annamarie at T4A can send me the all of the maps on a CD and that might be the solution. Garmin also has a CD so I'll begin to investigate the best way of downloading to the GPS unit. Any thoughts? Do you know if T4A is downloading to SD cards. The cost of memory has come down so much that this should be an option, at least for Garmin users. Nice to get your insigts and opinions, thanks again, Chuck
Old Jan 5th, 2007, 01:35 PM

hi safarichuck
I get their downloads every month, although it is not the usual detailed and bigger files. I'm on dial up too. There is a 10 hour difference rom the West coast, so part of the trick is to download while it is early evening in the states and early AM in SA- before and completed by 7AM. One of the owners have sent me huge files that have taken 5+ hours to download in the past with success. If there is a problem, contact AnnaMarie immediately. They respond quickly to these problems. They have learned to do this because the contributors (and supporters) are fairly harsh if they didn't in the past. T4A depends on all of us.

Your best bet to get the most knowledgeable information on your questions about the Garmin 76 and the SD card is to subscribe http://mailman.overland.co.za/mailman/listinfo/t4a

They are in the process of switching to a Google Group, so if you have a problem, I'll get the new GE group signup address soon.
The members and Wouter will have all your questions answered in short order. Its an amazing community.

Sign up for individual emails, and then switch to daily mail or unsubscribe when your questions have been answered in the profiles section.
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Luangwablondes, Do you know the size or scale of the maps for the different regions? For example, was are the scales for the maps covering the Serengeti? I have been to their site but ccan't find specific information. Thanks, Chuck
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 12:29 PM

You can zoom from 3000 kilometres to less then 100 metres. (I use kiometres for my standard).Like I said,accuracy depends on the equipment used in recording. Even then, one could be standing at a chalet, while another stands at the entrance to the camp, calling this the location of a camp. Is this what you wanted?
Old Jan 6th, 2007, 12:40 PM

Did you try downloading the free demos? http://www.tracks4africa.com/demo_map.asp
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Original Poster

Tried to download, no luck. Kept looking for a program I didn't have to open it?
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Garmin’s Trip & Waypoint Manager or MapSource software is required to view the maps on your computer and to upload these to the GPS. The software should have come with the gps.
www.tracks4africa.com/requirements.asp
Old Jan 7th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Got it, I'll download the Mapsource program tonight. It's too long for this evening. Thanks, Chuck
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 06:54 PM

Chuck,

Just downloaded the maps tonight. for US$5 you can't go wrong. Just make sure... once you purchase, you have 24 hours to download the 4MB download (5MBinstall). We had an issue with a mastercard and switched over to visa with no problems from there onwards....

I started tracking an (old!) poster, climbhighsleeplow (http://www.go-safari.com/safari_Tanzania.htm) and he seemed to have a small obsession about marking all the waypoints in tanzania (search 2005 posts in fodors). (wouldn't it be great if we could find them somehow?) His email is now bouncing, but in the process i was led to: http://www.gearthblog.com/blog/archi...oodall_go.html.

I then started looking at "Jane Goodall Institute's Gombe Chimp Blog" and had my mind explode with everything one can do with a gps (tagging videos, photos, blogs, urls, etc).

My question is, has anyone ever remotely attempted to create a "google earth travel album"??? Could you imagine e-mailing *your* 90 year old grandparents (or friends, family, etc) some google earth files, they click on it and BAM it opens instantly does a fly over of your route and then after the fly over you can click on waypoints, which open into a journal/log with respective photos?!!! WOW.

It can't be that hard.... does anyone have any references for where i can read how to do this? What an incredible way to share an experience.....

Melissa
Old Jan 13th, 2007, 10:25 PM

One of the owners or Tracks4Africa took off overland over the holidays to Namibia. Everyday he sent via sat phone his track log and current position back to the the T4A office. Then it was place marked in GE for the members of T4A. So anything is possible.

I think in the near future you will find websites where you can keep up with travelers on a daily basis, including, their current postion, track, some pics and daily blog. I imagine some enterprising individual will be answering postings to his blog also.

Old Jan 13th, 2007, 10:35 PM

Btw, you can make your own place marks, poi, tracks(path) in GE, mail these to your family and friends so they can see what your routing and place you will stayings at will be(they open in GE automatically). Its real easy to this in GE. Along with clicking on these place marks, you can put any information in there like the website of the lodge or camp, personal things like the days you will be there and what you look forward to doing here or even things like what is notable about a place.

I understand in other options that you pay for in GE, that you can add pics to the place marks.
Old Jan 14th, 2007, 07:47 PM

Thanks for the directional lead. I think i've found a decent "101" forum to explore this a little further...

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat..../0/page/0/vc/1

regards,
Melissa