Search

GPS recommendation?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPS recommendation?

I am thinking of purchasing a hand-held GPS for our self-drive trip through Moremi and Chobe. Our current Garmin is more than ten years old and a tad worse for wear, having been borrowed by my husband's students on many occasions. It also does not have the ability to download map data. I notice that in the 2007 Bradt Guide to Botswana, McIntyre writes, "Pre-loaded maps are a waste of time in Africa, as none of them have the detail that you need." I was a tad surprised by this remark. I have read nothing but great things about the T4A maps and several of you have recommended them on this forum. Whether or not I want a mapping unit will obviously affect the type of GPS I purchase. I would appreciate your input on McIntyre's comment and then input regarding which Garmin GPS has worked well for you under similar (Moremi/Chobe) conditions. I would like a unit that is simple to use but does everything that I will need. Thanks! Robin
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 07:08 AM

This looks like a topic for LuangwaBlondes.

I could use one of these gadgets just to navigate around the huge travel clinic complex where I go to get my shots. I get lost in their everytime and end up in OB-GYN or X-ray instead of where I should be.

Have you posted your self drive itinerary? Your trips sounds fascinating.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

I haven't posted my itinerary - do people usually do that? I am new to this forum!
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 05:32 PM

there's a thread to post your itinerary and how long till you leave - although i only rarely read it since it depresses me no end to read about all the fabulous places folks are going to
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Chris doesn't do a very good job of explaining obviously. Unusual.It is the basemaps that all the gps's are sold with that are crap. Tracks4Africa is an extra.

I would recommend you download the Botswana Map to your pc in order to plan your safari. It will have things to aid in the vast majority of tracks you can take. You can ask on another forum or research in their archives info on those tracks, and look at trip reports of those(South Africans) who have taken trips exactly where you will be and what their experiences are. You will need cable to the gps and pc and MApsource software- ask me about that) There is a recent one you find of particular interest, Contact for this:

http://tinyurl.com/2km8rz

Go to the T4A site. They have all the infor- the people bend over backwords to be helpful- and there is even an email list to throw out your questions and get answers from the techies and the people on the ground who recorded this stuff.

Don't bother recording your tracks unless it is for personal use. Just get a Garmin that is map capable you can download off your pc.

As far as paper maps, ask the company you are renting from. Those will have all the main roads and highways, etc. Enough details to get you to the point of offroad. T4A should have all that, but if you are like me, its hard to get away from that paper in the hands and something I can mark up and destroy. Oh, and ask if they rent a Garming gps with T4A and the Bot map.

You can also be famous and leave a your itinerary with T4A. http://tinyurl.com/2umbdj

Old Sep 30th, 2007, 06:33 PM

Just a note in regards to getting the gps. When such good information can be had at an inexpensive price, including places like waterholes, hides, even the campsite you have reservations at, where the mkoro rentals can be had in Moremi, where the places to shop in Maun, fuel, and so much more. It beyond on me why a few people need so much persuasion to get a unit. Not referring to you Robin. People go on these expensive holidays, and for a few hundred $$$ more can enhance their vacations immeasurably. You even get to keep the gps for the next time.

Btw, the T4A team is working on autorouting the Botswana map. I believe Namibia is about complete. So maybe lurk for a while on the email list, go through the site to collect info, and maybe you can route the whole thing before you leave the states with Bitchin' Betty to give directions. You will just need to imput your routes.
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Original Poster

Luangwablondes - When I am not able to function properly at work tomorrow, I plan to blame you entirely. I will simply explain that I was up most of the night reading "A Guide for the overseas self-drive, self-suffient, vehicle dependent visitor in Africa." Seriously though, what a great site - thanks!

Thank you also for the GPS advice and for explaining Chris' comment. I will read the T4A site in detail and purchase a unit that will allow me to use the T4A maps. I had no idea that they would provide such detail!

As for paper maps, I did manage to get the Veronica Roodt maps - although it was a bit of a challenge having them sent to Canada. I too like paper maps - what's a road trip without the challenge of refolding maps!!Thanks again! Robin
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Original Poster

Momliz - where/how do I find the thread where I should post my itinerary?
Old Sep 30th, 2007, 08:13 PM

here it is:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34490394

and, I would be interested in which GPS unit you finally get. That sounds like an awesome toy (we don't really need one, so it will be a toy). I was also on luangwablondes site (great site!) and the T4A but couldn't find enough info for a neophyte like me to make a sensible purchase.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 03:25 AM

canadian robin,
I think you are asking two different questions. First (1)what is the best hand held GPS device and second (2)where can I get the best maping software. I use GPS a lot in offshore and coastal sailing and in my cars. Although I own several (4)GPS units each made by diffferent manufacturers, I think GArmin now makes the best small hand held unit. In fact I just installed one of therir really large (12" display units) on my boat. For a hand held unit I would suggest you look at the GArmin 76 CSX. the 76 CSX sakes micro SD cards you can buy with pre loaded software or download the software from T4A website onto your computer and then load onto a blank micro SD card for copy to the 76 CSX. Although Garmin has some African software maping available, I don't think what is available for purchase in the States or in Europe is very good. The T4 maps seem to be the favorite so you will need to determine if you will be able to download from their site or perhaps buy their maps on CD. Luangwablondes has had a lot of experience and helped me through the process several months ago. Once you get a unit, perhaps he will walk you through the best way to obtain maps and charts. Garmap does have some new software available but I found that no spplier would even answer my email inquiries regarding purchase or availability. I don't know why, but perhaps their is some restriction in selling that product outside of Africa? I had even asked if they would deliver it prepaid to my hotes in Joberg-I received no replies? So since Tracks 4 Africa seems to have better software I would suggest buying the GArmin product here in the U.S. (it's cheaper here) and the software from T 4 Africa.
Regards-Chuck
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the link, Momliz! What a great thread - I am still reading! It is fascinating to see where other folks are going.

Chuck - thank you also for the advice - I have now purchased (online) the Botswana map from T4A without any problem and am now looking at GPS units. I am going to do as Luangwablondes suggests and utililize the expertise of the folks at T4A. I will also have a look at the Garmin 76 CSX. Thanks for the suggestion! Robin
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 08:41 AM
Original Poster

MomLiz - I have posted our itinerary on the thread - happy reading! Robin
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 11:32 AM

Robin, I saw it - it looks wonderful, I know you will have a great time!

And, I had a look at the Garmin GPS's - ouch! a little too expensive for a toy. Are there any decent mapping GPs's for under $150?
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 12:04 PM

Momliz,
I have the Garmin eTrex Vista C (which I think has been replaced by the Vista CX) and this is a less expensive unit than the 76 CSX. I've used it on our trips to Kenya/Tanzania and on our recent self drive trip in Namibia with the T4A maps.

There's also the Legend CX which is similar to the Vista CX but doesn't have the built in altimeter or compass (I think those are the primary differences). You could probably find the Legend CX for close to what you're looking to spend if you shop around.

You can also get either of these units in a non-color version which is cheaper. You can do a product comparison of their various models on the Garmin website. I purchased mine a few years ago so I'm not up to date on their current offerings.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 12:08 PM
Original Poster

Hi Momliz! It is a tad pricey - and maybe a wee bit complicated for me. Will keep reading/researching! Glad you enjoyed the post!

Thanks for the input Patty - will have a look at those models! Robin
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 12:21 PM

It would be fun to do some geocaching, I read about it on the Garmin site, and also help out with T4A, uploading data. Whatever GPS I get I would like to meet the specs necessary for that.
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 03:17 PM

Robin
Have you been able to open the T4A map on your pc yet?
Old Oct 1st, 2007, 06:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi Luangwablondes! I have just been looking at the T4 map of Botswana for the first time in the last few minutes - took me a while to get the Mapsource software updated and the settings as they should be. Have had a look at Maun and some of the campsites in Moremi. Amazing! However, I can see that I have much to learn. Somewhere I saw reference to a T4A tutorial - that is where I will begin - if I can find it again!! Thanks! Robin
Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 12:06 AM

I want to send you a trip report I think you will enjoy, by some South Africans who went to Moremi- Aug 18th -31st of 2007. If only all safaris could be like theirs.

Old Oct 2nd, 2007, 04:15 AM

I want to purchase some inexpensive GPS software for our trip to Johannesburg and Kruger next year - primarily for navigation, location of petrol, ATM and food. I have a Garmin Nuvi 350 (which I use all the time on my biz trips - awesome device!), but don't want to buy the Garmin software for South Africa b/c it is too expensive for one trip. The T4 site says it does not provide "auto-routable maps" so it does not sounds like a viable solution either. Any other suggestions?

I'm looking for the same thing for London if anyone has suggestions for that, too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -