Search

Game reserves near Arusha?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30th, 2023, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Game reserves near Arusha?

We will be finishing a 9 day overland trip in Arusha in mid-June and would like to then spend a couple of days at a game reserve or conservancy, where I understand off-road viewing is allowed, as well as night game drives, or maybe boat or walking safari. Does anyone have any suggestions? My other thought is to check out Tarangire National Park, as it’s not included on overland trip, only Masaii, Lake Manyara, Serengeti, Ngorongoro. Other ideas of places people have loved accessible from Arusha? TIA!
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 01:14 AM

Where are you flying home from? Arusha? Nairobi? The closest game park would probably be Amboseli in Kenya, which we stopped at en route from Nairobi to Arusha. If you don’t want to cross the border, then think of Kilimanjaro National Park.
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 08:22 AM

Seems like you will have done the best places you would have done what you have in mind during your 9 day overland trip. However, I think not all is lost because your suggestion of visiting Tarangire would serve you good. Would you mind letting out the number of days or how many is the "couple of days?'. This will help one advice you accordingly. Are you sole traveler in the overland trip? Can you consider flying to Selous (nyerere national park) where you can do boat ride, night game drives and also walking safari?
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 11:51 AM
Original Poster

I’ll check those two out, Heimdall, thanks! We’re planning to fly from Arusha to Zanzibar afterwards and spend 2 to 4 days on Zanzibar if we can find reasonably priced accommodation near snorkeling or diving areas. Currently researching where those areas are!
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, Denhumholidays! We’re thinking of approximately a week divided between Arusha area and Zanzibar, depending on what looks most interesting. I’m travelling with my 19 y/o son and I think he’d like to experience a night drive and maybe a walking safari or some off-road wildlife searching. I’ve been to East Africa and Botswana 20 years ago, and I’m excited about showing him some of the amazing things I experienced. The one thing about big group overland trips is that you don’t always get to be in smaller vehicles where you can get the best views of animals, which is why I thought about a 2 to 4 day independent trip after the overland one. I’ve heard amazing things about Selous. It may be too far but I’ll definitely going to look into it.
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by Heimdall
Where are you flying home from? Arusha? Nairobi? The closest game park would probably be Amboseli in Kenya, which we stopped at en route from Nairobi to Arusha. If you don’t want to cross the border, then think of Kilimanjaro National Park.
I recently had the incredible experience of flying home from Arusha, stopping at Amboseli in Kenya along the way. The proximity to Kilimanjaro National Park offered breathtaking views of the iconic mountain.
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 11:23 PM
Original Poster

That would sure be an added bonus. I’m now thinking of taking up the suggestion of Selous Reserve, since it’s not too far from Dar es Salaam. I’ll have to take a look at Amboseli though. So many incredible options!
Old Dec 1st, 2023, 11:58 PM

I got my classic photo of elephants with Mt Kilimanjaro rising in the background at Amboseli. Another photo I treasure was from Observation Hill, of flamingos turning the lakeshore pink with dozens more flying in the air below (yes, below). Amboseli was definitely worth the diversion.

Haven’t been to Selous, which is huge. Impressions I got from research were that a couple of days wouldn’t be enough.

Last edited by Heimdall; Dec 2nd, 2023 at 12:35 AM.
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 12:58 AM
Original Poster

So great to have those photos that take you right back there. Yes, I’m reading that Selous is as big as Switzerland. Had thought we could just nibble on a corner of it, but it does look like amboseli is not a long drive from Arusha, and you make it sound very appealing with Kilimanjaro as a backdrop! Any idea how much of a hassle the border generally is?
Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 05:49 AM

It’s been several years, and I was with a group when I crossed the border at Namanga, but it didn’t take long. Since you’ve already been in Kenya (Masai) you will already have a Kenya visa, but may need a multiple entry one to return. I don’t remember what I had, but started the trip from Nairobi, and returned there for the flight home. The road between Arusha and Nairobi is very good, much better than most you will have encountered in Tanzania, and the turnoff from there to Amboseli not far.
Old Feb 24th, 2024, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by thatwouldbeme
We will be finishing a 9 day overland trip in Arusha in mid-June and would like to then spend a couple of days at a game reserve or conservancy, where I understand off-road viewing is allowed, as well as night game drives, or maybe boat or walking safari.
How about Arusha Natl. Park? Check out their website.