Search

Private Game Reserves

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 06:40 AM
Erich

Private Game Reserves

Greetings, <BR> <BR>Following a trip to Cape Town in April 2001, I would like to book 3-4 nights at one of the private game reserves. I have heard a great deal about Londolozi, MalaMala, and Singita. I would very much appreciate your inputs regarding these lodges, as well as suggestions on other game reserves in South Africa. A limited schedule precludes me from spending more time in the Kruger Park area. I look forward to your replies. <BR> <BR>Thank you, <BR>Erich

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 07:04 AM
susan

Erich, I can only give you input regarding Singita as we stayed there 2 years ago. It was "out of this world". I can't believe that any lodge could be better. It is SO luxurious but so "Africa". We stayed at the Boulders Lodge and the Ebony Lodge was being totally refurbished while we were there so I'm sure it's spectacular too. The game drives were incredible. We saw lions with a fresh giraffe kill, mating leopards(a real rarity) and so much more. The trackers and guides were great. We are returning for a trip this March. We have been on a waiting list since September for Singita but nothing has opened up yet so we are going to have to stay at Mala Mala. Our travel agent tells us it's "just as nice" but I don't know it could be. But we are keeping our fingers crossed. I'm sure you'll need to make your reservations before we take our trip or I'd be able to give you a comparison between the 2 lodges. Good luck! Susan

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 08:06 AM
Penelope

I recommend the camp "Honeyguide," a private reserve near Kruger. It is less formal and less luxurious than such places as Mala Mala, at which I have also stayed, but more to my liking. The rangers don't hunt down leopards at night and tree them so the guests can tick off their talley sheet of the Big Five. P

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 10:54 PM
Anne

Second Honeyguide. The others mentioned above are so OTT - no point in going to Africa if you want room service etc. If you hve a ticklist - go to San Diego Zoo. If you want to experience the Bush - try Honeyguide, or better still, go to Zambia or the more remote areas of Tanzania etc. They are by no means basic and uncomfortable, plenty of creature comforts without the synthetic environment of Singita etc.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 09:55 AM
Janie

What's the best way to book a safari? I'm looking for a good travel agent to book one in Mala Mala or Honeyguide. (Or is there a better way to book direct?) <BR> <BR>Thanks, <BR>Janie <BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 10:18 AM
Louise

We have used Fish Eagle Safaris out of Houston and had excellent results. Try the website at www.fisheaglesafaris.com.

Old Jan 24th, 2001, 10:54 PM
Anna

You will find Honeyguide on www.classicsafaricamps.com. There is really no need to use an agent if you are going to South Africa. You can easily get around the country on scheduled flights etc. If however, you are cpnsidering somewhere like Zambia, I would recommend using one, because you are likey to need to charter small planes etc.

Old Jan 28th, 2001, 10:50 AM
Penelope

I have just checked a brochure that I received at Honeyguide the last time I was there (July, 1997). The e-mail address was [email protected]; the fax number was +27-11-447-4326; telephone: +27-11-880-3912. It is a part of the Lodges of Manyeleti, headquartered in Sandton (suburb of Johannesburg). In further response to Janie's e-mail to me,I see, from my bill, that beverages were the only item not inclusive in the cost. P

Old Jan 30th, 2001, 05:07 AM
Nancy

I've never been to Londolozi or SIngita or Phinda or Mala Mala but have heard they are all fabulous. Another I would sugegst is White Elephant Lodge in Pongola Game Rserve - small and elegant. www.whiteelephantlodge.co.za <BR>Also, for something wonderful and difeferent, try a Rovos Rail train trip - they have 2-3 day trips in South AFrica and is the absolute most indulgent and wonderful thing I have ever done (www.rovos.co.za)

Old Feb 9th, 2001, 09:09 AM
Jahna

Hi Erich. <BR>We are also planning a trip to Cape Town and Kruger in early July 2001. Have you received any feedback on lodges? We were thinking of King's Camp in Timbavati Private Nature Reserve. Can you recommend King's Camp or another mid-priced camp in Kruger? <BR> <BR>Thank you, <BR>Jahna

Old Feb 13th, 2001, 12:48 AM
miriam feldman

I'm heading off to Inyati. It was recommended by friends who lived in SA and went to several. Only has 10 rooms and is pretty expensive. Hope it's worth the cost.

Old Mar 4th, 2001, 12:33 PM
kathleen

We just got back from a stay at Mala Mala and thought it was terrific. All the private lodges you mention are right next to each other and have no fences so all the animals wonder back and forth. There will be no difference in the quality of the game drives -- they will all be excellent. I guess it boils down to how much money you want to spend and how luxurious you want your lodging to be -- they are all very luxurious and nice it is just how nice you want. Good luck.