South Africa safaris-private game reserves

Dec 30th, 1997, 09:20 AM
Peter Baker

South Africa safaris-private game reserves

Planning trip to South Africa October 1998. Would like info etc. Have Guide to S.A. (1996). Interested in medium range of game camps recommendations.

Jan 6th, 1998, 02:06 PM
Penelope Campbell

One of the best safari camps in South Africa is Honeyguide, a private reserve near Kruger. It is very small, has tents on platforms, and good trackers. My husband and I were there, for the second time, in May, 1996, and, while there seemed to be slightly fewer animals than several years previously, we had two unbelievably unique experiences in the bush. The price is not cheap, but, having stayed at several other safari camps in South Africa, we believe that Honeyguide offers the best value for the money.

Jan 17th, 1998, 02:49 AM
Shayne Rees

Dear Peter

There are a lot of private game reserves in South Africa. Generally most of them are expensive but are luxurious. By expensive I mean ranging from US$280.00 to $550.00 per person sharing per night. These rates include all your meals though and excursions such as game drives and game walks all lead by trained experienced trackers & guides. So when you think about it this way it isn't too bad. most of the Private Game Reserves are located around the Kruger National Park and border it, but there are other places, such as Hluhluwe in Natal that has good Game Reserves too.

Some really good ones that I send a lot of people to are Mala Mala, Londolozi and Phinda. These are all in the top category and range between US$400 and $550.00 but are excellent.
Other good ones that are not as pricey include Tanda Tula, Idube and more.

There are also excellent safari camps in Botswana and Zimbabwe and Zambia. The Okavango Delta and Moremi Game Reserve have excellent game and the safari experience is quite different to that of Kruger National Park. In Kruger the bush is much taller and the savanna plains that exist in Kenya on the Masai Mara don't exist here. So you cannot see for miles and miles and miles as there are trees and bush in the way. So one has to hunt around the bush to find the animals. One can drive round corner and find a Rhino standing 20 meters away that you did not know was there. The reserve is well stocked though and finding animals with a ranger & tracker is not a chore.

The Okavango is a Delta and there is obviously alot of water around. It is normally very green and game walks are quite a high light here.

Moremi Game Reserve has the savanna experience and huge herds. This should be combined with the Delta to get a good safari experience.

Good luck! It is loads of fun and incredibly interesting. Different to anything you have done before.

Shayne

Apr 10th, 1998, 07:24 AM
George

Shayne:
Read your reply to a question on S.A. and liked it. It matched our experience. Planning to go to Zimbabwe and Botswana next year and would like your thoughts. We are looking for camps more on the line of Lando. and Mala and Phinda in S.A.
Please contact me at my personal e-mail site
Thanks
George

Jul 17th, 1998, 11:34 AM
Ruth Stoky

Dear Peter,
I am not a travel agent just a traveler who loves africa and goes each year. You can stay at Kruger Park and the price is only about $60.00 per night. Lower Sabie, Satura, Olifants and Mopani are my favorite camps. We were there for only two days this past trip and saw lions mating, lions hunting, buffalo, elephant (one had ivory that was close to 100 pounds), leopard, hyenas and tons of plains game. If you want a unique experience and want someone to drive you through Kruger, etc. e-mail me. There are a couple of bed and breakfast lodges on private property not far from Kruger. They're quite reasonable ($60.00) per night and offer a gracious and unique experience and they will take you through the park like a native.

Aug 5th, 1998, 05:39 AM
Tom

Wife and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Londolozi, we both highly recommend it. Previous replies are accurate descriptions ... its a marvelous and unique experience at these private game reserves. Hope you enjoy it as much as we did!!

Aug 17th, 1998, 04:12 PM
J.Maranda

I stayed at a new private reserve last Dec called Kapama Private game Reserve which was recommended to me by friends in S.Africa. It is near the Kruger Orpen Gate, and was truly worth the visit. game was plentifull, and the accomodation and setting superb. For more info. their internet address is www.gentour.co.za.

Sep 5th, 1998, 06:59 AM
Bill

If you insist on So Africa, Londolozzi is hard to beat...Honeyguide is nice but not many animals....Best choice is Mombo Camp in Botswanna...all animals except Rhino...

Sep 19th, 1998, 01:12 PM
Dennis & Lois

The highlight of our trip to S. Africa was our stay at Phinda - what an experience, we hesitated at first because of the "high" cost - but it was worth every penny! We saw 4 of the Big 5 the first day, the accommodations were excellent as were the trackers and staff. I would highly recommend it to anyone travelling to S. Africa.

Search this Thread