Fodor’s Editors: Well Done!

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fodor’s Editors: Well Done!

You’ve been caught doin’ a good-good thing! I was not one of the folks who asked but your “cleaning up” is much appreciated!

Shukriyaa, Tack, Grazie, Ahsante, Mercie, Dankie, Thank you very much!

Den
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 10:38 PM

Just a bit slow is all. Do the editors act immediately on a single complaint or wait for a number? I can remember a few months ago it took a few days to remove a tasteless gynaecological-style joke which one of our number was once fond of.

John
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 12:01 AM

How does one contact the editors regarding an offensive posting?

regards - tom
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 12:22 AM

What should I do if I see a message that's rude or contains advertising?
If you see a message or reply that violates our rules of conduct, e-mail [email protected] with the forum name and the title of the post -- we'll look into it. We would prefer that you NOT add further comments to an objectionable message.

Old Oct 9th, 2007, 03:09 AM

John,

What are we talking about in this thread? Travel agents at it again?

Hari
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 07:59 AM

That reminds me of a dream I had. When a travel agent solicited on Fodors, the editors would write RAT in big letters across their post. It stood for <font color="red">R</font>eally <font color="red">A</font>wful <font color="red">T</font>ravel agent.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 09:50 AM

What did I miss?
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 12:14 PM

Ditto
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 12:59 PM

I have emailed them directly in the past and they were reasonably prompt about fixing the problem (a long link that messed up the column width on these frames). But, what are we thanking them about now - I don't see that they have done anything...
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 01:06 PM
cw

I think the trolling post titled &quot;Americanisms&quot; from a &quot;camp manager&quot; recounting stupid things Americans did at the lodge--like not knowing it was equally hot on both sides of the fireplace and not finding their way back to the room--was deleted.

CW
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 01:45 PM

My favorite from this trip wa sthe lady who asked the guide if he thought her bowl of cereal sufficient for breakfast!
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 06:28 PM

Hi CW,

I missed that thread .... but, just heard about it from another fodorite.

Thanks
Hari
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 05:28 AM

Also an obnoxious, uncalled for post on the SA driving license thread was deleted after complaints to the Editor.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 10:02 AM

Well... thanks everybody.

Our current format does make for clunky reporting of threads...changing this is high on our list of priorities for the next upgrade. Ideally, we'd make it a little easier for you to flag something without having to go to the trouble of emailing us.

You can certainly direct email to [email protected], but we've also opened a new email box for forums specific inquiries.

[email protected]

Thanks for your patience and general friendly spirit.
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Original Poster

Here’s the Scoop:

I was reading through the threads the other night and I kept coming across conversations that did not seem cohesive but it was so late I just chalked it up to me being tired. Then I came to a post by Wayne, I think, and I knew something had to be missing above or below his post then it dawned on me (around dawn) that the editor must have been cleaning up.

Recently, I’ve just been catching up on Fodor’s and had noticed there were quite a few weird, snitty and or advertising comments throughout the threads followed by posts to the editor to remove them. I went and checked a couple threads where I knew there were odd comments and sure enough they were gone. Yippee! Obviously there were a lot more of them then what I was aware of as I had not seen the SA one that QueenofDaNile mentioned, nor the cereal or the gyno jokes that Matt and John noted!

Anyway, while I had not personally brought their attention to the posts, I enjoy the results of having them gone! I find them all annoying as they can taint ones visit to Fodor’s where I am escaping to - to enjoy the stories and learn about Africa.

I did contact the editor once; it was Katie who responded to me. As a new person to the forum, I’ve only one trip to Africa so far to share information. Almost a year ago now, whenever I would post anything on one part of my trip (I had three trips in one really) I would consistently have one or two posters harass me a bit. I’m a big girl but after a few months or so, I finally had enough and Katie went through all the posts and removed much. She gave me the choice, but asked if she could leave some of their posts and a few of my responses to them as well that she felt would be a good preemptive lesson for future pests. I was quite pleased with her support, the prompt attention, and I thought she handled the situation cleverly. I have no clue what else they do with such complaints as far as contacting the pest/s but they did not bother me online again (not that I posted much or for a long time after that.) However, offline, bizarre communications from folks relating to this situation did not stop coming to me until the end of April! While I realize now this situation was between other Foderites and my innocent posts were the vehicle for public sparring I have posted very little and it makes me wonder how much time these editors have to spend on such nonsense!

John and Tom:

As Katie said you can just send an email to her or as I mentioned before I’ve observed how a few of the long-time forum contributors handle a questionable post; they kindly educate them on the forum rules OR do a little investigative work – then call them out OR just IGNORE THEM PERIOD which seems to work best!

I think Katie popped on once and mentioned that while she reads the posts, the notes to the editor throughout the posts aren’t always going to be noticed. Plus, for a while there, some of the posts have actually been little personal dramas, spats, or complaints between individuals masked as professional comments confusing the hell out of us newbies. Some of the posters were using one or more IDs adding fake posts as well, I don’t know how Katie/editor could be expected to figure it all out. Luckily for us, I sense some of the long-time contributors communicate to the editors behind the scenes as well when needed to help keep the forum content relevant and on task; I think for the most part this is a pretty spam-free forum so what ever they do - it’s been working!

Thanks to all who partake in the work keeping this forum informative and fun! Den

p.s. Katie, you are most welcome.