Aug 14th, 2006, 09:01 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 174

I am scheduled to fly United SF to London and then BA to Nairobi. Flights made a year ago. United ff miles; BA with travel agent ...both biz class.On7/31 I was informed by agent that there was a time change on BA flight and I had been reconfirmed. Yesterday, when attempting to get clarification about new regulations for hand carry on I was told by BA that my flihgt had been cancelled....back in January???!!! Travel agent didn't do it; nor did I. Flight is now full and the best BA says it can do for me is get me out of Nairobi 2 days later and at full 1st class rate. They are also saying that my ticket was nonrefundable and nontransferable. This really messes up my trip as I have prepaid acomdations and flights within Kenya. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do? I dopn't understand how I could have received an email from my travel agent reconfirming everything whilst BA is saying the trip had been cancelled months ago. It doesn't seem right that I should have to lose all this money not to mention have my trip thwarted. Shouldn't the travel agent bear some responsibility here? What does anyone suggest?
13moons is offline  
Aug 14th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 1,834
Just to clarify- your seat/reservation was cancelled or the entire flight was cancelled?
cruisinred is offline  
Aug 14th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,916
So, BA can get you to NBO, but not back to London until two days later, and at full first class rate. I would see if there are any coach tix on another carrier from NBO to London (either on KLM with change in AMS, or Kenya Air, or even BA in coach) -- first class is not worth it for that flight.

Also, this is where your travel agent earns their commission! If they want to prove that travel agents are not relics of an ancient pre-Internet era, they need to be able to add value.
thit_cho is offline  
Aug 14th, 2006, 09:16 AM
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 836
13moons, I'm SO sorry to hear about the mess up. Obviously if the TA booked the flights then the TA is responsible for sorting out this whole mess. If it were me I'd be inclined to kick up a stink with them. I'd also check other carriers as thit-cho suggested BUT if all fails at least you would be gaining two days in Africa and not losing two days I know that's not what you originally wanted but don't let this spoil your anticipation of your trip and all may not be lost just yet!

OnlyMeOirish is offline  
Aug 14th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Posts: n/a
Have your TA investigate what happened here. Did BA cancel flight and advise TA? Did BA advise you? January was way back awhile and if at end July that TA confirmed a flight departure time... something doesn't make sense. Again, have the TA earn their commission.

And, once this is determined, if TA can't get you on the BA flight, there are any number of other carriers who fly out of NBO thru Europe (or Emirates thru Dubai). If time is of essense, coach may be your only option.

Keep us posted on this.
Aug 14th, 2006, 10:27 AM
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,227
I'd call the airline back and pretend you have not heard that your booking was cancelled. It COULD be the mistake of the person you spoke with. If you still find out that your reservation was cancelled, I'd ask to speak with a supervisor. However, with what is going on this week, there are a lot of flights that are being cancelled, and I'd advise trip insurance.
kleroux is offline  
Aug 14th, 2006, 11:09 AM
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,172
Wow 13moons! Your trip has had more troubles and you haven't even left yet!!!! It must mean that when you get there, EVERYTHING will go perfectly!!!!

Good luck, and do let us know how all of your troubles work out!

cynstalker is offline  
Aug 15th, 2006, 03:20 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 4,131
Have you resolved this?
Marija is offline  
Aug 16th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 174
Okay everyone,
I am being told that I am going on the flights I had arranged. My TA is going to buy me a ticket if she has to do so. Evidentally some BA reservation person never entered the ticket number in the computer and the reservation auromatically cancelled. Also it appears that when you call BA for info they do not have access to all records...just some. BA is still not doing anything but my TA is FABULOUS and has reassured me she will get me there even if it is on her dime. NOw I am waiting confrimation. More later...
Boy, I must be in for some great 1st trip given all the hassles I have had and hurdles I have had to jump over....
13moons is offline  
Aug 16th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 5,215
I smell business class
regards - tom
cary999 is offline  
Aug 16th, 2006, 12:56 PM
Posts: n/a
If your TA comes thru as it appears he/she is working with you on this foul-up... goes to show that it's still a good idea to have a Travel Agent to handle such airline ticket situations.

Good to hear. Let us know whether you're in the front of the plane!
Aug 16th, 2006, 01:31 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 9,213
Call me a cynic but I suspect one reason your agent is making sure she does everything she can to get you on that flight is whilst the cancellation may have been the fault of a BA clerk she reconfirmed it to you - presumably without checking!! Grovelling apologies to said agent if I'm wrong but it all sounds a bit odd.

Regardless, I'm really pleased to hear that your agent is sorting this out and that your plans won't be messed about!
Kavey is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:14 PM.