Finally! A Madikwe map

Sep 18th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Finally! A Madikwe map

It's been almost impossible to figure out the location of the Madikwe lodges!

Well, I got together with some friends and we created our own - with the help of Google Earth!

If you have not used Google Earth, this is a great time to get to know it. IMO it is the best tool available to help with safari planning (or anything else).

In the spirit of Google Earth usage (non-commercial and available to all), Carol and I have created a personal web site to show the great wildlife countries of East and Southern Africa in a way not seen before!

This is NOT Google Maps! Google Earth is much more useful.

1. Please visit our test site: http://www.go-safari.com

2. Look at the "About Google Earth" section to learn more about GE and install the FREE viewer.

3. Go to the South Africa menu item and then Madikwe.

4. Load our Madikwe data into Google Earth.

5. Enjoy your exploration of Madikwe! We have links to lodge home pages, pictures of Etali, Jaci's, Distance on the main routes, airstrip info, etc. with much more to follow.

6. If you have pictures of lodges, etc. that we can link to from GE, just let me know! It will greatly enhance the experience for others. We will give you full credit for everything you allow us to use!

7. Tanzania, Kenya, Garden Route and others will follow within days once our testing is completed. You can see some screenshots of our Kilimanjaro data on the site today.

Enjoy!
Eben
Sep 18th, 2005, 07:18 PM

very nice, can you do one for Zambia? I had no trouble getting in, downloading viewing but had a heck of a time getting out of the web-site.
Dennis
Sep 19th, 2005, 03:32 AM
Original Poster

Hi Dennis

Next out is Tanzania. This one is huge with a ton of waypoints, followed by either Kenya, Uganda or the Garden Route. Zambia and Botswana will follow afterwards.

Exiting the site? Did you have problems with exiting go-safari.com or Google Earth?

Thanks, Eben
Sep 19th, 2005, 06:21 AM

Wow! What else can I say!

I had no idea this was possible! I don't know much about Madikwe but I love the presentation of locations and pictures.

Please post the Tanzania maps without delay! We have a tough time figuring out the lodges and camps in Tarangire and beyond.

Your dog is a sweetie!
Janet
Sep 19th, 2005, 06:34 AM

This is fantastic! Thank you so much for providing it.

And, off topic - Cappuccino is the cutest dog ever.
Sep 19th, 2005, 08:11 AM

eben-exiting the google earth site
Sep 19th, 2005, 08:43 AM

AAAAUGH! Google Earth does not support Macs, so I still can't see the map of Madikwe!

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 19th, 2005, 01:48 PM

Eben: thanks for taking the time to create this wonderful resource!

I'm glad to now know where Buffalo Ridge Safari Lodge and Madikwe Hills like within the park. I will certainly provide pictures following my trip in March. I will also pin down locations for Deception Valley Lodge and the Kwando camps in Botswana as well if they are needed at that time.

Search this Thread