For Eben - Tanzania lodge info on go-safari

Jan 26th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

For Eben - Tanzania lodge info on go-safari

Hi Eben,

Is there any way to access the lodge pictures and information on your site if my computer can't run Google Earth? Google only supports Mac OS10.4, and I have Mac OS3.9.

If not, it would be very helpful if you could add this facility for all the Mac users out there who would love to benefit from your expertise! Some layout maps showing where the camps are would also be great -- not as fun or interactive as Google Earth, but still very useful.

Cheers,
Julian
Jan 26th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Julian,
Don't use the map! That'll mess you up. Or you won't get anywhere, anyway.

You should be able to access descriptions and photos by going through the park names on the top of the website. For example once you've clicked on Tanzania, click on Serengeti. Then there is an option to click lodges or camps, etc. then the names of the various lodges will be on the top of the next screen.

Google Earth didn't work on my behemoth iMac at home but works on my laptop.
Jan 27th, 2006, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Leely!

I still wish there was a map which showed where the lodges were in relation to one another, though...

Cheers,
Julian
Jan 27th, 2006, 12:46 PM

Julian, you've probably already seen this go2africa map:

http://www.safari.go2africa.com/tanz...eti-safari.asp

Jack
Jan 27th, 2006, 12:48 PM
Original Poster

Hi Jack,

I've seen that map, but wanted on which might be zoomable with more detail (and more camps included). It seems like it would be possible to do a 'screenshot' of the Serengeti map on Google Earth and post it as a JPEG...then again, I'm not a computer person at all, so maybe it's much more complex than that.

Cheers,
Julian
Jan 27th, 2006, 12:56 PM

Julian,
I think the problem with a screenshot is that lodge/camp/campsite names don't show up until you click on the icon on the Google Earth maps, so you'd essentially have a map with all of these icons but no way to identify them (like the screenshots you see on Eben's site). Or maybe there is a way to do it that I haven't figured out??
Jan 27th, 2006, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

I'm sure a clever computer person could put numbers on the icons, and then have an accompanying list identifying the lodges by numbers. A link from the icon to the lodge's page on the site would be even better...

Eben, are you out there?

Cheers,
Julian
Jan 27th, 2006, 01:25 PM

The Serengeti map is pretty big. You'd have to do it in sections if you wanted a lot of detail.

Here's a screen shot with just the lodges:

http://www.pbase.com/escog/image/55366465

Adding all of the campsites, airstrips, visitor centers, etc... makes if kind of messy since there are so many overlapping labels. You have to zoom in pretty close to get sufficient separation for it to be legible.
Jan 27th, 2006, 01:27 PM

Oh, and you make the labels show up by editing the markers such that the label opacity is 100%. I imagine Eben made them 0% for legibility of the map.
Jan 27th, 2006, 01:38 PM

Here's one with everything:

http://www.pbase.com/image/55366888/original
Jan 27th, 2006, 01:41 PM

lifelist,
How do you edit the markers? Thanks.
Jan 27th, 2006, 01:44 PM
Original Poster

Hi Lifelist,

Thanks -- this is great! It really helps to see where everything is...I wish Google would hurry up with its Mac OS support!

Cheers,
Julian
Jan 27th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Oh, hell. I'll just do them all. Here's the Serengeti in pieces with more detail:

http://www.pbase.com/escog/inbox

You edit the markers by right clicking on the little icons. You get a context menu with an Edit option. You'll need to select Advanced in the edit window to change the size and opacity of the label and icon. However, it's really tedious to do them one at a time. If you go to the Places pane in Google Earth (the pane with all of the check boxes) and right click the folder that contains the markers you want to edit, you can edit them all at the same time.

Again, you'll want to click the Advanced check box. If the markers don't already share the same style, click the share style button. This will apply any changes you make to every marker contained within the folder you've selected.

Jan 27th, 2006, 01:55 PM

Does anyone know roughly how long the drive is from the entrance gate to the Seronera Valley? I can't remember because we strayed off and through the Moru Kopjes and elsewhere on our way in and out of the park.

I guess I'm just trying to figure out how "out of the way" Ronjo is. Why, I have no idea.
Jan 27th, 2006, 01:57 PM

Oh, and I've discovered that you can't make the labels any smaller than .6 or .7. Otherwise, they disappear.
Jan 27th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much -- it's so nice to see all the camps! I didn't realise Klein's was so far north, or how close Kirawira and Grumeti were.

Cheers,
Julian
Jan 27th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Original Poster

I don't suppose you could be persuaded to do one for the Mara, another area where I am geographically befuddled?

Cheers,
Julian
Jan 27th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Well...only because it's Friday. I added Mara North and South.

http://www.pbase.com/escog/inbox

You should download the jpegs because I'll probably clean them out at some point.
Jan 27th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Original Poster

Brilliant!!!

Cheers.
Julian

Search this Thread