EGYPT-MAGIC

Aug 4th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Original Poster

EGYPT-MAGIC

I'm planning a trip this September to Egypt and have been offered the following 14-day package from Egypt-Magic for $690.00 per person less airfare.
All of Egypt - 14 days
Experience the very best Egypt has to offer - 3 nights in Cairo, 3 nights cruising down the Nile, 2 nights in Luxor and 4 nights relaxing by the Red Sea.
With the following accommodations:
The hotel in Cairo will be Zoser hotel (5 stars)
The Nile cruises is www.pnccruises.com
the hotel in luxor is Hilton luxor
the hotel in Hurghada is Club golden 5 hotels

Just a couple questions. Has anyone used their services before? I would also like to know about their billing options. Such as faxing a credit card payment form along with front and back of my credit card? Has anybody else have to do this for their reservations? This trip sounds to good to be true and I'm a little skeptical about their ways of collecting payment.
Aug 4th, 2005, 12:32 PM

Personally, I wouldn't fax my credit card info anywhere. You never know who's standing at the fax machine. Western Union takes credit cards and works just as well for deposits. But that's me.
Aug 4th, 2005, 12:44 PM

14 nights for $690 isn't even $50/night. I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see how its possible. Maybe there's been a dramatic downturn in light of recent events, but it seems to good to be true.

I've been to Egypt three times, and I've stayed at the top hotels, and never for near $50 per night.

Aug 5th, 2005, 08:41 AM

I don't know any of the accomodation from personal experience but I checked out the Hurghada hotel on reliable Dutch/Belgian and German review websites (lots of Europeans in Hurghada). It mostly gets bad reviews, both for cleanliness, hygiene and food!
On top of that none of the hotels mentioned is 5 stars.
Egyptian T.O.'s often guggle with stars and 5 stars in Egypt is not what westerners consider 5 stars, especially in hotels that are under Egyptian management.
Do reconsider and try to find first hand information.
Aug 5th, 2005, 08:45 AM

Just noticed that the Golden 5 has been reviewed a number of times on Tripadvisor. You can read them here:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...and_Sinai.html
Aug 5th, 2005, 01:15 PM

You get what you pay for...
Aug 7th, 2005, 04:21 AM

JIMDH1970: I actually stayed at the Zoser in Cairo (part of the package tour we booked) and while it is a 5 star by Egyptian standards, it is only a 3 star by US standards. That was our first stop on our 5 star tour and I was expecting more when I was told it was a 5 star hotel.

Re: the price you were offered. When I went in November (I posted a trip report if you're interested), I went with 11 other friends and we booked a private tour. The friend that organized it is a travel agent in London and his friend is a partner in the tour company we used so we were given a VERY good deal and still paid more than the $690 you were quoted.

One thing to verify re: the price is does it include all accommodations, private guides, transfers, Nile Cruise, entrance fees to all sites on itinerary, and in-country transfers (i.e. included in our package was an overnight train to Aswan from Cairo, a flight from Luxor to Sharm, private bus from Sharm to Cairo and private bus to/from Cairo to Alexandria). The only thing our package price didn't include were tips and meals (breakfast always included at hotels) and admission to Sound & Light show, King Tut's tomb in Valley of the Kings (admission to Valley was included) and admission to King Tut's exhibit at Egyptian Museum (museum admission was included plus our guide was with us...a HUGE help).

Re: payment method. To be honest, I'm really surprised they wanted a credit card. We had to pay via money transfer from our bank to their bank and from what I understand this is very typical. At the time, they wanted US dollars as payment so all my friends in Australia and the UK that were traveling with me had to deal with the conversion and transfers.

I would definitely do a little more investigating into exactly what the $690 covers.

Happy Travels!
Aug 9th, 2005, 03:52 AM

Hello -

I haven't used the service you are questioning, but my husband I recently went to Cairo and then Aswan for a Nile Cruise to Luxor. The price you were quoted does seem to be low - we paid approx. $1000.00 each for airfare, private tours included (not on nile cruise), all transfers, nile cruise (5 days) and Abu Simbel. I might add, that for this cost, everything was 5 star - from being picked up in a private mercedes, to Nile Hilton to our cruise which was the Sonesta Moon Goddess - you can't put a price on having a balcony in your room while cruising down the nile!!!! Additionally, we felt this was a great deal for the cost.

The Presidential Nile Cruise ships are not nearly as nice as the Sonesta line - but if you are going for cost, then it serves it's purpose. I would be sceptical about that overall cost and try to find a company that you feel more comfortable handing your money to.

Hope that helps!

Michelle

Aug 9th, 2005, 04:38 AM

I felt like looking into this a bit more. Is your offer from Egypt Magic, the local operator in Cairo? Or from Egypt Magic, the better known tour operator in the US? The latter is quite reputable but does not seem to sell anything in the price range you mention...

Search this Thread