Egypt and Visa

Jan 26th, 2000, 06:57 AM
Marsha

Egypt and Visa

I am arriving Cairo airport 9PM. Has anyone had experience getting a visa at the airport? I would prefer not mailing off my passport to the consulate. Thank you.

Jan 26th, 2000, 12:57 PM
Louise

Hello, Marsha - we are leaving in three weeks for Egypt arriving Cairo at ll:55p.m. We are of the understanding we can get our visa at that time. Have a good time!!

Oct 7th, 2008, 11:16 AM

As you enter the airport proper from outside you will see a sign for Masr bank in neon. Go there first. Have $15 US in exact change. You'll get your visa there if you are from the US or Australia. I don't know about other countries or whether they'll take Pounds Sterling or Euros because they always ask me for US $ as I have an American passport.

If you're on a tour or having a "meet & greet" person meet you, that person will meet you in the same room as you come in, holding a sign with your name or the com apny's name or both. He will probably take care of getting the Visa for you.

Afer you do this, you go to one of the the lines in the same room under the sign Passport. I came home from Morocco last night so this information is correct as of 6 October 2008.
Oct 7th, 2008, 11:38 AM

After deplaning, before going to passport control you must get the visa stamp. The cost is 15US but can pay in Euros or Sterling. Then line up to passport control. Check out the Cairo International Airport website for a map of the area.
Oct 7th, 2008, 12:13 PM

This thread is 8/yrs old.

Granted, we often suggest searching on Fodor's, but I'm sure whomever found this could have come upon a newer thread with the current info.

Oct 7th, 2008, 07:03 PM

Thanks sandi

I never realized the thread was 8 years old !!!!

I just read it assumed it was current... my eyes did not pick up the year 2000!! ( shame on me !)

However, sunshine007 is 100% correct.

Percy
Oct 9th, 2008, 02:51 AM

Sunshine - What were you thinking when you brought up this old post? Just for fun or to see if someone would notice? What's up with that?
Oct 9th, 2008, 02:52 AM

"As you enter the airport proper from outside you will see a sign for Masr bank in neon. Go there first. Have $15 US in exact change. You'll get your visa there if you are from the US or Australia. I don't know about other countries or whether they'll take Pounds Sterling or Euros because they always ask me for US $ as I have an American passport."

Also, this would vary depending on which Hall and Terminal you enter through. Which one were you in?
Oct 9th, 2008, 02:59 AM

Oh, didn't realize that, Debbie. It's Terminal 1.

I didn't bring it up -- it was on the 50 latest posts list. Another computer glitch from Fodors, I imagine.
Oct 26th, 2008, 08:27 PM

Even though this thread is old-It is good to take note of these things. In Bali lastyear I was way ahead of a lot of people who didn't know to get a visa before passport control. Thanks Fodorites-I have noted this for my later trip to Egypt!!
Nov 6th, 2008, 02:41 PM

I just saw something in th SF.Chronical today re;not being allowed to enter Egypt if you have Israel stamped on your passport. Can any of you confirm this? I have a week confirmed in Hurghada with my timeshare company. I'll do sometraveling with a guide in Egypt to places you have mentioned but I have requested a 2nd week in Jordan or Israel. Maybe I should tell RCI to not search there for accomodations. Thank you for your help in advance-Chris
Nov 6th, 2008, 06:32 PM

my understanding is that israeli visas and stamps are not a problem.

Sunshine - where did you find the 50 latest posts list?
Nov 9th, 2008, 09:40 AM

Beneciachris,

There are some countries (Iran & Syria for two) which will not allow you in if you have an Israeli stamp on your passport, but, as Momliz says, it's not a problem in Egypt.

Israel will give you an separate page with its stamp on it if you want to go to one of the non-friendly countries at a later time. It always seemed to be a good idea to do -- you never know where your life will lead you.

Momliz

I know you know it -- you were just thrown by the name I gave it.
It's the list just to the left of the main screen for Africa & the Middle East -- you use it to read the names of the posts. It has the 50 latest posts when you first pull it up, then when you go to the next page, you get numbers 50 to 100.

Sunshine

Nov 9th, 2008, 02:16 PM

duh! Thanks
Nov 9th, 2008, 03:29 PM
P_M

Just in case anyone ever needs this info, the following countries will not allow you to enter if you have an Israeli stamp:

Iran
Kuwait
Lebanon
Libya
Saudi Arabia
Somalia
Sudan
Syria
Yemen
Nov 9th, 2008, 03:30 PM
P_M

PS I don't know if this is true or not, but I read on another board that Israel no longer is willing to give you a stamp on a seperate piece of paper. Please check into this if it could be an issue for you.
Nov 9th, 2008, 05:54 PM

I knew I could count on this site for information. I have noted all the countries P_M has mentioned. It may take a year to get my second week's confirmation. Iam just so excited about going to Egypt-Its almost 2 years away but at over 60 times moves quickly. Thanks for all your help Chris