Visa and Passport

Oct 4th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Original Poster

Visa and Passport

I am getting my passport now (October) (USA) and would like to travel with friends to Egypt in December of this year - in 2 months.

I was reviewing the Egyptian counsel website and found the following statement: You need a passport valid for at least six months to obtain a visa.

Does this mean that I need to have my passport for 6 months before getting a visa or that it must not be less than 6 months from expiring? I am finding conflicting information. Thank you.
Oct 4th, 2005, 04:13 AM
sandi

countrygirl -

If you are receiving a new passport this month October '05, it will be good for 10-years, expiring October '15.

The minimum 6-month requirement, means that you must have this amount of time "remaining on your current passport." So with a new passport, you will have 9-yrs, 10-months when you arrive in Egypt; you can get your Visa upon arrival in Cairo (USD$20, I believe).

You'll now be able to travel to Egypt and elsewhere for the next 10-years.

Oct 4th, 2005, 04:19 AM
Original Poster

thank you - that is what I needed to know!
Oct 4th, 2005, 06:50 AM

countrygirl_va

sandi is correct in what she tells you.

Your passport must be valid for 6 months at the time you are LEAVING the country NOT from the time you are entering the country.

In either case you are alright since you are getting your passport this month.

Get your visa right at the airport and exchange some money at the same time at the SAME place( ticket window )as you get your Viza.

I was told that the Viza is $15.00US,( last week) unless it just went up.

Also Egypt just went off Daylight Saving Time last Thursday. so your time zone change is now one hour less.

It is almost 9 AM here ( Edmonton)and I am leaving for Egypt this afternoon.!!!!

Have a nice December trip

Percy

Oct 4th, 2005, 06:53 AM
sandi

As to Visa price, it was $20 when we visited... it may be $15 now (as Percy mentioned), either, is a small price to pay to visit this amazing country - the people, sites and history. Enjoy your holiday and do let us know all about it on your return.

Oct 4th, 2005, 08:06 AM

sandi

okay

Got to rush now !!
Bye
Percy
Oct 5th, 2005, 11:11 AM

I'd bring a ten, and two fives (USD) for the visa. You need to pay in cash in USD. I am not sure if they will give you change.

Have fun!

Search this Thread