Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Do you have a fav rom at Phinda, Rattrays,Kulala, Crater L, Grumeti R. L, Wolwedans? Guides?

Search

Do you have a fav rom at Phinda, Rattrays,Kulala, Crater L, Grumeti R. L, Wolwedans? Guides?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone here stay at any of these camps? Which rooms should we request and which to avoid? I've noticed at some camps, some rooms have better views for example.

And if you had a guide you loved (or if one to avoid, email me) at:

Phinda Vlei, Rattrays, Wolwedans Dunes Lodge, Little Kulala, Crater Lodge Tree Camp, Grumeti River Lodge? Thanks. [email protected]
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 02:46 PM

I was in room 3 at Rattrays. Every room has the same view and they are all as private. The only downside is distance from the public areas as these are at one end of the camp. That makes room 8 quite a hike.
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 03:23 PM

Grumeti River Camp - I can hardly remember but rooms 7 - 10 had better views of the river and hippo pools when I stayed 2 years ago.

Crater Lodge Tree Camp - not sure because none of my rooms there had great views but next time I will try room 24. I posted an aerial layout of the lodge here: http://www.go-safari.com/NCA/CraterLodge3.jpg

Old Jul 10th, 2006, 03:38 PM

Oops, I made 2 mistakes on the Crater Lodge image. Room 24 and 12b are both part of South Camp! In that case I would probably opt for room 25 at Tree Camp but I just cannot remember the views!

I am fixing my image...
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Great aerial view, Eben, thank you!
Napamatt, thanks for the info on Rattrays. Did you have a guide you loved there? What about Mala Mala?
Old Jul 10th, 2006, 09:07 PM

Alas our favorite guide Leon is leaving Mala Mala to manage A new reserve in the Eastern Cape with his lovely wife Jenny. There are some excellent guides there, we did enjoy Warren at Rattrays, but be warned he spends a lot of time tracking cats, which you need patience for, and he drives fast, which makes for a bouncy ride.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:35 PM
bat

Eben:
Great aerial with room numbers. Nice addition to the site. Sure beats my sketch which I tried to turn into a map to post here but the Word doc got scrambled.

Clematis, I asked the Tree Camp manager which unit had the best view and have it in my notes at home--I'll look it up (not there at the moment). I recall it being 25 or 26--one of the two that are furthest from the Tree Camp Lodge. I spent more time at the Lodge than my room for view purposes--it was magical and empty most of the time I was there during the day.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 02:41 PM
bat

BTW, the other issue with the balconies is privacy. Avoid 29 because of people coming and going on the path. We were in 27 and if we were on the balcony people could see us from the path. Our friend was in 28 and although he had a more obscured view than did we, he had more privacy.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 03:30 PM

Wolwedans Dune Lodge - the rooms are all in a row and face the same direction so everyone enjoys the same marvellous view. You could ask for one close to the dining area if you would find walking on sand any distance hard or furthest away if you like the idea of being a little more remote, though it wouldn't make a huge distance.

The only one separated from the others a touch is the Mountain View Suite which is a vast chalet with bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, dining room and lounge, outdoor dining and seating area, outdoor bed... we were upgraded to it on our last visit and enjoyed it but wouldn't bother paying more for it as we find the normal chalets perfectly charming and sufficient.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

bat, privacy is our middle name. We often ask for the room that is furthest away from the lodge because we'd rather walk a little longer and have a private balcony. Although in Africa, if it's a choice between a view of animals or privacy, I guess we'd go for the game. Also, did you have a guide you liked there?

Oh matt, he sounds like our kind of guide. This is where it gets interesting - there are different styles of guiding. We are most interested in cats (all kinds) and we appreciate a guide who will step on it so not to lose one.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 03:47 PM

Clematis

Warren tends to step on it at all times, the situation always seems to demand it in his eyes, but he is a good guy.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 03:52 PM
bat

Hi Clematis:
Still not at home with that answer re which has the best view.

The thing about the tree camp units is that they are all along the path down to the lodge so being further away from the lodge in this case does not necessarily mean further from the path. It means higher up the path. If you look at Eben's aerial, the path meanders down the middle bewteen the units. But some of the balconies are angled a bit away from the path and some have foliage obscuring the path from the balcony (and vice versa.)

We did not use a guide from the lodge--is that what you menat? I think that Rocco may have when he stayed there.
Old Jul 11th, 2006, 09:31 PM
santharamhari

Great comments. Here after, i will take note on tent numbers etc et., to give my feedback. It's a pity that i havent done this on my past Africa visits.

Hari

Old Jul 12th, 2006, 01:16 AM

Clem, in that case, I'd ask for the Wolwedans Dune Lodge chalet furthest from the central area but NOT in direction of the Mountain View Suite - the public area is in the middle and then there are chalets on each side all facing on direction, in a row. On one end is the Mountain View Suite, on the other end nothing.
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

Kav, thank you for that. I know that is your special place and a big influence for us in choosing it as one of only two places we'll see in Namibia. (we
return someday).
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 01:46 AM

Clem, just keep in mind one thing which may or may not be relevant - the three managers at Wolwedans all left in late 2004/ early 2005 - that's guiding/ conservation manager, operations manager and maintenance manager - I know this was not a case of disatisfaction with higher management or the situation but personal reasons that coincided. I have no idea whether new management are as good and have continued in the same high quality and warm way. I'm sure they have but it's just something I want to let you know about.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Kavey, I read that in your other posts. Our trip isn't until 07. Hopefully we'll hear some reports from other visitors there. I do believe that the management is everything. Our favorite ones were at Chief's camp in 03, they had been at Singita before that, a youthful married couple, both brunettes, and I cannot remember their names as we were only there one night. I would love to know where they are now.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 12:20 PM

Yes, it's hugely important isn't it? I know you had less than stellar experiences at Mombo and were not alone - from reports here it seemed to really drop standards for a year or more in between my two visits which were both excellent. I bet a main reason for that was camp management.
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

Yes, bat, I meant a guide from the lodge. Did you travel with your own guide and did you like him? I am now wondering if we should consider this.

Someone, I think Linn, should be back now with a report of Kulala... does that sound right?