Which camp at Ngorongoro Crater Lodge?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. My fiancee and I will be going on our honeymoon to Tanzania next year and will be spending 2 nights at CC Africa's Ngorongoro Crater Lodge. I understand that they have 3 camps - Tree Lodge, North, and South. Which one would you recommend?
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 01:15 PM

Go for 3 nights if you can. I just got back yesterday. Spent 3 nights there for my honeymoon. We stayed at the South Camp room 19. It seemed to me that the South Camp had the best views. They said the they usually put honeymooners in the Tree Camp because it is the most private with only 6 rooms but the views are getting obstructed because the trees are growing.

FYI... It was spectacular. Ask for them to serve dinner in the room for you final night.
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 04:03 PM

I just posted a video of the room on Youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXHxJAeHR8A
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 04:54 AM

I asked a similar question when I was researching our trip and it seems that people who have stayed in North Camp recommend that one. People who stayed in South Camp recommend South Camp. And people who stayed in Tree Lodge think that one's the best. So, I don't think you can really go wrong at Crater Lodge!

We returned a few weeks ago and stayed at Tree Camp and we thought it was just fantastic. There's only six rooms or so, so it feels really exclusive and private. The dining room area/lounge is phenomenal with a really good view, and the service was unbelievably good.

We had a great view of the Crater from our room - especially from the bathtub.

There did appear to be one room at Tree Camp that was surrounded by trees - can't imagine that one had a very good view, but really, the camp is so fantastic, I don't think that would even dampen the experience.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 04:58 AM

Smunky,

See Scubadoo's video, it is stunning, the room has a nice view of Crater which is the most important thing to see.

Its the only way to get your honeymoon memorable...
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 05:04 AM

Hello Smunky,

Sounds like you have an amazing honeymoon coming up! I've stayed in two of the camps (North and Tree) and visited South Camp.

North Camp is closest to the car park and shop. It has the nicest public area -- the dining room is the one shown on the CCA website -- and you will frequently see buffalo and elephants on the lawn.

Tree Camp is the smallest and most intimate, with a more informal feel. The views used to be the best from Tree Camp but the trees have grown up around the camp and the views aren't as good anymore.

South Camp now has the best views, as it's closer to the Crater Rim. The public areas aren't as nice as they were inherited from the previous non-CCA lodge. The Maasai dancing is held at South Camp.

Hope this helps!

Cheers,
Julian
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 07:31 AM

I am sure the Crater Lodge is spectacular, but there may still be other ways to make one's honeymoon memorable.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 08:48 PM

hguy47

In my case I think it really depend on someones need/thoughts. I like somewhere quiet and nice, the quieter as much as possible, I did not take CC Africa on my honeymoon I did Serena Ngorongoro, I did liked it, I could have nice views of crater from my room when I opened the curtains, the place was quiet so I had a stunning time.... I think at CC Africa is the same.

You need to go somewhere new to you, far, where you can relax and have much time with your wife/hubby.....