Daughter has internship in Kenya/ diagnosed with mono

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My poor daughter has been looking forward to an 8 week intership in Kenya working with the Aisec organization. She was supposed to leave today but yesterday she was diagnosed with mono. She is in the stage where she feels really ill right now, but she is hoping she might be able to go in a couple of weeks. Those of you who are more familiar with the conditions in this area might be able to tell me--would you go if your immune system was compromised?

Thanks for any help here.
Old May 26th, 2006, 06:11 PM

As someone who has had mono, I think a full recovery would be in order before leaving for Kenya or anywhere. Can her 8 week internship be postponed?

It took me about two weeks to even get out of bed and other week to regain my strength. About a month from its onset I felt like I was back in fighting form again, though a good deal lighter.

Whenever your doctor feels she is fully recovered is when I'd consider sending her to Kenya or allowing her to engage in any activity requiring endurance. Your doctor could also tell you how anti-malarial drugs would interact with a post-mono immune system.

What a disappointment this must be for her. I hope she can take advantage of this wonderful activity when she is fully recovered. Mono is no fun at all. I am sorry it struck at such an inconvenient time.
Old May 26th, 2006, 08:20 PM

If the mno runs a usual course, you can expect future weeks will be like above poster describes. Not likely she will feel able to keep a schedule of 8-12 hours awake and active for 4-6 weeks - and by then the internship is almost over.

Then there is the medical monitoring that may go on long past that time to make sure her liver function tests and immune system are returning to normal. I think the chance of her going in a couple of weeks is slim. Sorry - hope she can postpone to another time.
Old May 29th, 2006, 09:11 AM

I have not been to kenya, butI have had mono twice. Both times, it took me a month to recover. I literally could not leave the couch the entire time. I was so weak. If she exerts herself, it will take even longer.
Old May 31st, 2006, 12:48 PM

My niece had an internship for India last summer....mono stopped her from going. She recovered very slowly and didn't regain her energy until 6 months later. I don't think it is worth attempting and risking further health problems in a new environment.
Old May 31st, 2006, 01:47 PM

OP - so what did she decide and how is she doing?