Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Anyone else going to be in Kenya in the next 3 weeks?

Jul 19th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Nervous Nellie here again (maybe I should just change my screen name). Well-meaning friends and family are bombarding me with e-mails and news links related to Mungiki beheadings, the recent "explosion" in Nairobi, and now tremors, earthquakes disaster alerts and evacuations. I like to believe that reading this forum has given me a balanced perspective but last night I dreamed that my husband and I were the only ones boarding the British Airways jet bound for Jomo Kenyatta International Airport. Believe it or not, we really do want to go. But is anyone here going to be accompanying us?
Jul 19th, 2007, 07:23 AM

Me! And I could not be more excited! I wouldn't even know what to say to those family and friends...time to get new ones?!?
Jul 19th, 2007, 08:19 AM

I shall not be boarding the British Airways plane for Nairobi.

But that's coz I've got a ticket to fly on Swiss to NBO in 3 or 4 weeks, and I'm sure as heck going to take that flight.
Jul 19th, 2007, 08:54 AM

We will be traveling to Nairobi Aug. 4 via BA. I have been following the international news and the swarm earthquakes seem to be scaring the locals and the experts say they may go on for weeks, months. I live in Northern California and have experienced quakes so I live with that reality. I have accepted that if a major quake hits before we leave that could mess up this trip but at this point I don't see us changing our plans. I do not relish the thought of being in Africa during a major disaster, but Katrina may as well have happenened in a third world country given the response.
Jul 19th, 2007, 09:14 AM

I was just in Nairobi, where Kennedy was our guide. We first arrived about a week after the explosion. The only change I saw was that the drivers picking up passengers at the airport weren't allowed to stand at the railing by the baggage claim exit. They had to stand on either end of the exit lobby. Even my sister and I were asked to move along while we waited for another traveler. Everything else in Nairobi goes on as usual.
Jul 20th, 2007, 04:45 PM

HI, I leave 8/16 for London (Virgin from SF) and 8/18 for Nairobi(BA). Can't wait. OUr fates are in the hands of the Gods already. We can but live our lives to the fullest. Have a WONDERFUL trip in Kenya!
Rhoda
Jul 21st, 2007, 02:39 PM

Hi maria2 (alia Nervous Nellie) We are leaving in less than 2 weeks and taking our 3 children with us! I was pretty nervous at the start of all this planning and if I didn't think it was safe I wouldn't be taking my kids there. Be smart, be careful and everything will be fine. Our friend has in-laws who run a restaurant right downtown in Nairobi and he said they didn't consider the "explosion" anything to worry about at all and they say the Mungiki stuff (horrid as it is) is far removed from the tourist areas. I'm a Nervous Nellie too but I'm feeling pretty excited about our upcoming trip and trying not to think about what COULD go wrong. If bad luck is headed our way it can happen close to home just as easily.

ShayTay, we have booked Kennedy for 2 days also. How was it??