Dar es Salamm What to do?

Jun 14th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Original Poster

Dar es Salamm What to do?

I have looked at many of the postings and there really isn't any information on Dar other then quick overnight and off to the airport. We are spending 3 days in Dar. What is there to do that people like to do? Eat? etc.
Regards
Gail
Jun 15th, 2008, 08:31 AM

Do you have Zanzibar on your itinerary? If not, it's a quick 20 minute flight over to the island from Dar. If you chose to stay on the mainland, I think there is a resort about 35 kms south of Dar called Ras Kutani that you could check out. I don't think that you'd find 3 days' activities in Dar that you'd enjoy.
Jun 15th, 2008, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we are going to stay about 5 days on Zanzibar. We are going on safari, then to Zanzibar, and then flying to Dar for a few days before we all leave for home.
Jun 20th, 2008, 09:41 AM

We have a day to kill in Dar and are planning on spending it at Bongoyo Island. It is an island about 30 min away and is part of the Dar es Salaam Marine Reserve.

Has anyone been there and has any tips?
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:18 AM

You can burn a day at the beach. Go to the Kigamboni ferry near the open fish market- which is kind of an interesting place too. Walk on board the ferry to cross the bay. Then take a cab to Kipepeo's for a day at the beach. or Makadi Beach resort and Sunset Beach resort too. I self drive and like the laid back atmosphere at Kipepeo's. But you may prefer one of the other two. To return to the ferry, just ask them to call a taxi for you. This option is inexpensive. You may even decide to overnite at one of these. They have websites.
Jun 20th, 2008, 10:23 AM

Btw, Ras Kutani is about 23kms or so further south off the same road as the other places.
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:20 AM

Do you suggest Kipepeo over Bongoyo? We are mostly interested in snorkeling and laid back atmosphere.
Jun 20th, 2008, 11:51 AM

Never been there. But I imagine the beach is no better on the island then the beaches to the South of Dar. And then you can do some different things as you poke around getting to Kipepeos. Check out the fish market, the village, whatever floats your boat.
www.kipepeocamp.com/
If I wanted to go to an island, I would go to Zamzibar anyway, which you are doing.

That other place is Sunrise Beach Resort btw, which seems upscale comparably to Kipepeo's and with more activities. Probably a good place to overnite. www.sunrisebeachresort.co.tz/sports.html

Search this Thread