ClimbhighSleepLow and others like him -- Help!

Oct 11th, 2006, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

ClimbhighSleepLow and others like him -- Help!

OK all. I have not posted for help in a while because I felt I had to do my part to help myself and THEN ask for your help again. So for days I have read threads and have paid special attention to the ones written by climbhighsleeplow and Julian. Of course, I am still trying finalize my January trip to Kenya and Tanzania. No need to go back over the whole itinerary. Just trying to see the Serengeti migration and have two question:

After the Masai Mara and before the Crater, I am now booked (it was Grumeti and then Kusini)at OLAKIRA MOBILE CAMP for 3 days which will be in the Ndutu area in January.

Is this a good choice? I would love to hear feedback from anyone who has gone or been in the area in January.

Also, the managers of this camp are opening a new one on December 16 called Suyan. In January it will be in the Piaya Gol region. Looks beautiful. But is it good to see the migration? I have the opportunity to switiching to this camp.

Never before in my life have I felt so unsure about something. I am a confident person, but good grief, planning this trip has turned me into a nervous nelly! I must say, however, that this community is so great! I look forward to posting my final itinerary and trip report.

Thanks all.
Oct 11th, 2006, 01:16 PM

Just trying to see the Serengeti migration ... I am now booked ... at OLAKIRA MOBILE CAMP for 3 days which will be in the Ndutu area in January.

Is this a good choice?

We were at Ndutu in January 2006 and will be back there in January 2007 ... later in the month is probably better than earlier, but yes, it should be a great area that time of year. Dunno about your specific camp (we were at the Ndutu Lodge).

Bill
Oct 11th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Bill H. This is indeed good news. Sounds like you had a fantastic time to go back 2 years in a row!

Just got a litle more information 5 minutes ago for those interested in mobile camps that follow the migration in the Serengeti.

Asilia Lodges, which runs Olakira and Sayari, are opening a new one in December called Sayari South. It will be located around the Moru Kopjes (northwest of Ndutu and Southwest of Seronera.)

So my trip will include Olakira or Sayari South. Lodges are rated the same, just looking for the best overall experience for January 8,9,10.

Thanks!
Oct 11th, 2006, 02:05 PM

OK! Your itinerary is looking good now!

By booking Olakira I think you've given yourself an excellent chance to be in a good position. Now you can relax and count the days!

Did you see my Olakira movement map here? http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/Olakira.htm

At Ndutu, Olakira is normally at one of the camp sites around Muhanga. It is a very good location - see my Ndutu map here: http://www.go-safari.com/images/SerengetiSouthNdutu.jpg

If the rains stay away the camp will probably be at Moru Kopjes.

About Piaya. I was there this past January it is was bone dry but it was an exceptional year.

IMO the area around Nasera Rock towards Gol is fantastic but timing is everything! February-April (April can be tough driving) is perhaps a better time to be there.

Also, we don't yet know the exact location of Suyan at Piaya. But I am very sure it will be at the old Sayari spot which is quite far from Gol.

See my location map here: http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/Suyan.htm

There are also pictures of the Piaya location.

In a way I wish you would go stay at Suyan so you can report back to us about the camp and the location in January!!

I am unable to visit there until March!

Eben
Oct 11th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Original Poster

Eben,

Of course I have seen your maps. This is what I mean about not posting again before I did my research. Your maps are great. Now I do feel good -- you are right.

I am looking forward to now reading posts on cameras. I was not happy with mine for South Africa last December.

But before I do, tell me what you think about the area of the new upcoming Sayari South for viewing in January. Just curious.
Oct 11th, 2006, 06:18 PM

I know what you mean about being a nervous
nelly...I am driving myself and my tour operators nuts over trying to plan this thing, and I know whatever I end up doing is going to be the greatest experience of my life, but I am writing and re-writing new itineraries every day!!!
Oct 11th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Original Poster

Jenack,

Where and when are you going?
Oct 11th, 2006, 06:45 PM

I wish I knew!! Actually, I am getting pretty close to being set. Going for the last 3 weeks of sept '07, 4 nights Mwagusi in Ruaha, 4 nights Foxes in Katavi, 3 nights Nkungwe in Mahale, and 5-6 nights in the Northern section of the Serengeti, up by the Mara river and Masai mara border.
Oct 11th, 2006, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Wow! 3 weeks -- sounds fantastic. Cannot wait for your trip report. I am very envious of your stay in the Mahale region. If I could have added a few more days, it would have been there. The dreams for the next trip have already started.
Oct 11th, 2006, 07:29 PM

Every trip itinerary I read about in these forums sounds like a dream come true!! I started planning this trip a year ago, and I still have a year to go!! Hoping to settle the itinerary and put it away for 6 months!! Have a great trip.
Oct 12th, 2006, 04:43 AM

I left Tanzania just a month ago to come catch up on office work before our next trip "home"!

And now I am already way behind with new developments in East Africa. It is almost impossible to keep up!

Sayari South information is now available here: http://www.go-safari.com/Serengeti/s...easoncamps.htm

Just pick Sayari South from the menu.

Great location! When I last visited the site (the camp was not there yet) there were a pride of lions on the kopjes looking at us walking around! I posted a picture of the camp site and its lions!

Sayari South tents are similar to Sayari North.
Oct 12th, 2006, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. And FYI -- I received info from CC Africa that they have from an Asilia newsletter. It talks about the 2 new camps -- Suyan and Sayari South, as well as Olakira. Olakira has now undergone a major renovation -- new and larger tents, new bedding, new soft and hard furniture, and improved bathroom facilities. So, when it opens on December 16, it will be all new. I promise to take photos to send to you if I get there on Jan.7 before you go again. Thanks for the help.