Search

Advice on Feb 08 Serengeti

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Advice on Feb 08 Serengeti

We have 3 possible initineraries for the Serengeti part of our Feb 08. Any opinions aas to which is better

!. 3 nites Kusini and 2 nites mobile camping in Seronara 10 or possibly in Nduti

2. 4 nites Kusini and 1 nite Mbuzi Mawe

3. 2 nites private mobile camping in Nduto and 3 nite Sayari or Oldavi

Any onw done luxery camping with Africa Adventure or Africa Dreams.

Thanks for amy advice
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 02:41 PM

Never been to Tanzania at this time of year, but I am hoping to go then so your post and the answers you'll get are of interest to me.

If you post the rest of your trip then responses can be more meaningful.

You want to be south at that time of year.

#1 Kuisini and Ndutu would be a good combo and gets my vote and probably my travel dollars some day. Seronera (unsure of the 10) would not be as ideal as Ndutu in Feb, especially since you also have Kuisini.

#2 I wouldn't do a 4 and 1 split unless it was for travel logistics. There is no mobile in this option.

#3 Three nights at Olduvai would be too much. Here's a question for you or anyone else. I can't get a feel for whether Sayari is a permanent camp or a mobile that moves in the northern area or a mobile that goes all over. Depending on that answer, #3 could be really good.

I've done lots of luxury camping with Afirca Adventure, though in Tanzania I've used lodges all but once. The luxury camping was not their property, they were just the agents. All was outstanding.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 03:14 PM

Lynn: Sayari has a northern and southern location, just like its sister camps Olakira and Suyan that I will be staying with next February. See the map here: http://www.asilialodges.com/index.php?id=0,0
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Original Poster

I meant Olakira not Oldavae. Sorry. If you go to www.asilialodges.com they show them. It looks like they only move twice a year.

I think the idea with the Kusini to Mbuzi Mawe is to be close to the airstrip the next day.

The rest of the itinierary is 2 nites at Arusha, 2 nites at Tarangire and 2 nites at the crater

Thanks for any advice
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 03:26 PM

We've taken trips to this area in late Jan 2006 and 2007 and posted pics (search on 'bill and carolyn' to see the latest).

Based on my limited experiences and what I've been told by our guides I would say option 3 would most likely put you in the best position for the migration, depending on where the Sayari and Olakira camps are located. We've done very well at Ndutu the past two years.

Option 1 would be good if the game is near Kusini but it's supposedly more hit-or-miss than the more centrally located Ndutu area. Also spending 2 nights near Seronera will put you in different terrain (woodlands instead of open plains). You won't see as many animals there without going south but you'll see some different stuff, especially leopards near Seronera. However the Seronera area is much more crowded than Ndutu or Kusini areas.

Opt 2 would be my last choice because Mbuzi Mawe is well to the north and because Kusini is more of a gamble as to seeing large herds. Skipping the Ndutu area would be a mistake, if you can find openings there, I feel.

So for me it would be Opt 3, then 1, then 2.

Bill
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Predator, could you post your itinerary here? It might be helpful to Gokyoto and I'd like to see it. Sorry if I missed it earlier.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:31 PM

I don't think I have posted the full itinerary yet. February '08 traveling with Kiliwarriors. I am leading a group of 8 so for those considering Olakira or Suyan, sorry but those dates are full as I believe we will have the entire camps.

17-Feb-08 Arusha Hotel or Kibo Palace

18-Feb-08 Fly out at 8 a.m. to Mahale –Overnight Greystoke Camp.

19-Feb-08 Greystoke Camp.

20-Feb-08 Greystoke Camp

21-Feb-08 Fly from Greystoke to Lake Manyara, overnight at Kirurumu Tented Camp

22-Feb-08 Lake Manyara in a.m. and Ngorongoro Crater in p.m. overnight Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge

23-Feb-08 Morning drive in Ngorongoro Crater. Afternoon drive/overnight Suyan Camp.

24-Feb-08 Suyan Camp.

25-Feb-08 Olakira Camp.

26-Feb-08 Olakira Camp.

27-Feb-08 Olakira Camp.

28-Feb-08 Olakira Camp.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 06:35 PM

gokyoto: I picked Olakira because it will be located somewhere very close to the Ndutu/Serengeti border and should be located well for where the migration is typically located at that time of year. The camp comes highly recommended as being well operated.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 10:09 AM

Looks like a fantastic trip, Predator!