Search

Cheap duffle bag sites?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap duffle bag sites?

Hello

I assumed that I would be using my internal frame back pack for this trip until I weighed it in at 5 pounds. So.... I know that I'd seen a thread here about some on-line sites; I think one person even got a $25 duffle bag (As an aside, how DID that bag hold up???).

My question is what were those web sites people had used to buy their duffle bags?

To keep me from buying a bag that's way too big or small, about what size, ON AVERAGE, is a duffle for a 33-lb weight limit?
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:14 PM

Unless shipping is free, or more items are being purchased, online purchase of a duffle bag is expensive. Try Wal-Mart.
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:22 PM

I seem to recall ebags.com mentioned as a source for duffle bags. Have you checked your local sporting goods store?

I purchased 2 of these http://www.outdoorproducts.com/proddetail.aspx?sku=252- at Sport Chalet for $30 each. They weigh in at about 2 lbs each. I liked the U shaped opening and side pockets. I filled mine and it weighs right around 40 lbs (OK for my flight), so you may want to try one size smaller (medium).

I won't be able to tell you how they held up until next month!
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 03:48 PM

We had luck here:

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/...st_display.htm
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:08 PM

For a trek where you are using porters, is a lockable duffle bag a must have?
Old Nov 11th, 2005, 04:27 PM

lroscoe19:

I would always plan on locking your duffel. As long as you have zippers with double pulls you can get one of those four number dial locks which works well.

Travelers on this forum have had things stolen from their luggage which was in their locked rooms, so it is always best to be sure your bags are locked when you don't have them with you.

Jan
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 04:47 AM

We bought cheap large duffles too - we went for large as there's no rule saying we HAVE to fill them to capacity each time we use them. The large size gives us flexibility on different trips. Ours have lasted pretty well.

We bought them from an outdoor gear shop catering to hikers, climbers, campers etc.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks! I'll check out the sites. I probably need to go measure one or two in a store, first, since I have trouble visualizing sizes.

So, do people even lock their duffles in their tents?

Cheryl
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 09:14 AM

I speak from experience, always lock your duffel in your room with a sturdy combination lock, and NEVER lock your valuables up in the duffel. Keep them with you or put in the camps safe. My locked duffels were stolen from the tent, recovered days later but happily the locks weren't opened and all contents were safe.
Old Nov 12th, 2005, 10:39 AM

I sometimes kept our passports locked in my carry on in the tent, but since hearing Dennis' stolen luggage story, I don't think I'll do that anymore! So I guess I'll be keeping the passports on me at all times or maybe in a main safe if they have one.

Other than that the only items of value are the camera and camcorder which we pretty much carry at all times, even to dinner (you never know what you're going to see and want to photograph).

Since nothing of value is kept in our main luggage, I don't lock them. They could just as easily take the whole bag anyway!
Old Nov 14th, 2005, 06:00 AM

We've been using duffels from Land's End
(www.landsend.com). They've held up very well.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 11:54 AM

I can't recall where we got our bag for 25lb and 33lb airflightlimitations but it had zipped pockets on each end which made it easier to store items. An easy way of putting items in the soft sided bags is to use plastic freezer bags with zip tops. An underwear bag, sock bag, shirt bag ect. It's very easy to find clothes needed which do not get mixed up with other items. Also, you will need less clothes then you think. You can sqeeze the air out for a better fit as well.
Old Nov 15th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

The bags are also a very good idea. Somehow, even my regular suitcases are a mess by the end of the trip - which has made it very embarrassing when I get chosen for the spot check!

Cheryl