Travel partners?

Nov 13th, 2005, 10:53 PM
Original Poster

Travel partners?

Hi
Hubby and I are planning to drive ourselves in Botswana in June 06 ... to cover Okavango/Moremi/ Chobi possibly Kalahari and victoria Falls. We no longer live in Africa and plan to hire a camper 4X4 in jo'burg or Maun ... is anyone planning a similar trip?
Nov 14th, 2005, 04:51 PM

You might want to post this on Lonely Planet's Thorn Tree Forum as well. Sounds like fun. Do you have experience doing this kind of trip in Africa?
Nov 14th, 2005, 05:15 PM

Do you know how to make the bookings in Botwana parks? Nows the time to come up with an itinerary and start booking. Its a popular circuit and there are only so many campsites. Even many of the camps and lodges are getting booked.
Nov 14th, 2005, 10:32 PM

Do a search on the forum-Scubatv. I helped him get going in short order with an itinerary and bookings. He got just about everything he wanted quickly, but it took persistence. You can really do this trip on your own if need be. But get the campsites 1st and you will find all kinds of people that will want to go with you in June. Most people procrastinate and then can never get what they want.
If you still need help, email me at luangablondes at juno dot com. A lot of people will try to dissuade you from doing on your own. But it appears you will be doing a common route in the cooler time of year-good. And if there was a problem, someone will come along to help, its the vacation time for Europeans and Americans. And the South Africans are going in bigger numbers every year. I've driven these tracks many times starting nearly 10 years ago, before everyone wanted to do so many self-drive safaris. You'll love it.
Nov 15th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Original Poster

Luangablones- I have NO idea how to make camp site reservations! ... any help would be much appreciated!

Ddgattina- Thanks, I did. Yep, have done plenty of self driven trips in South Africa and Easy Africa but Botswana is a first, and lots of people advise against doing this alone in Bots in case of a breakdown etc. hence the search for travel partners.
Nov 15th, 2005, 02:50 AM

go, go, go!!!!

Makes a change from all the posts asking about where to stay for mega bucks.

Travel safely.

Can I come too!
Nov 15th, 2005, 01:09 PM

Suggestions. Look for a diesel hilux with rooftop tents kitted out and long range tanks. Diesel has far better mileage then petrol, and fuel is none existent between Maun and Kasane through the parks.
www.bushtrackers.co.za/fourbyfour_camper.asp
itinerary could be something like this
1. Ar Joberg-Bushtrackers will pick you up and rent a car-they will help
2. shop for supplies
3. pu hilux early, head for Serowe
4 &5. Kalahari
6. Maun
7&8. Oddballs
9&10. Moremi 3rd Bridge
11. Xakanaxca(sp)
12&13. Savute
14. Chobe Inhle
15&16. VF
17&18. Hwangwe Masuwe Dam
19. Magadigadi
20. Joberg or close by
21. Depart

Nov 15th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Hey Thanks a million luangablondes!

I would really like to add Vic Falls. (border crossing to Zimbabwe might be hassle though with the vehicle? ) I suppose if we find a safe parking space in Kasane we could get a tour from there for one or 2 days) - any thoughts on that?

How could I book campsites?

Oh and we need to fly to Oddballs right? where should we park the vehicle?
Hey thanks again- it's all becoming a bit clearer in my head now!

Fuzzylogic - thanks! .... hop on board!
Nov 15th, 2005, 06:02 PM
Original Poster

Luangablondes- I tried to email you, didnt work...? [email protected] ?
Nov 15th, 2005, 06:23 PM

Try again. My mistake.

luangwablondes
Nov 15th, 2005, 11:04 PM

Most of the rental places allow travel into Zim. On Days 15 and 16 is when I suggested going to VF.
You book campsites through the following:
Zim-Central Reservations
[email protected]
Bot- [email protected]
Also a chart of fees on same page

www.zimparks.com

To get to Oddballs or Gunns or ...they are on Chiefs Island and you need to fly. Personally, I would spend the extra $$ and go to an upmarket camp or skip going. You can do a mokoro out of Xakanaxca(sp) or go to Mankwe to arrange.
Or maybe check mtbeds when you
get to Joberg.
Nov 16th, 2005, 05:45 AM

Xing borders with a foreign vehicle....
Make sure you have:
Correct registration papers for the car.
Insurance valid for the countries you'll be visiting.
Third party cover is required.
Perhaps check with AA to assess further rqts.

I recall when I crossed from Bots into Zambia, the cutoms guys buried themselves under the hood for over an hour. held up my trip and was a frustration.
When I got to Malawi, I had neglected to carry the insurance papers proving that I was covered. This put a nother spanner in the works and eventually slipped a few $$'s into my passport when I reported to the police station, fortunately that was sufficient for them to overlook the absent paper. Not sure that this would work in Bots, but...
Nov 16th, 2005, 06:58 AM

What mkhonzo says is so true. But the companies that you rent from are familiar with all that and will provide all the papers, including probably the road decal for Botswana. You will just need to review when you pickup the vehical to be sure its all there. Like in Zimbabwe, there is a carbon tax on the vehicle. If someone has taken the vehicle into Zim in the previous 12 mos, you maybe covered. But, the vender will go over this with you.

Search this Thread