Zambia or Botws in the rain help!!

Nov 15th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Zambia or Botws in the rain help!!

OK I thought I had planned everything and now like so many people on the forum and now I'm in a real dilema. I am going on safari between roughly 27th dEC TO 14TH Jan. I am travelling with husband and child and was planning
Nights - Isibindi Zulu Lodge
3 Nights - Zululand Tree Lodge
3 Nights - Thonga Beach Lodge
3 Nights - Phinda Mountain Lodge
leave off car here and fly to :
4 Nights - Londolozi Bateleur Camp
But now I'm not sure, its a really expensive plan aout $20,000 without international flights, I am thinking to make it more affordable

Botswana or
Luangwe River Lodge
Mozambique : I really want some beautiful sea and snokelling
Sabi Sands : last minute deal 10th -14th which MT beds assure me is achievable

So my questions are
1) Zambia luxury and lots of rain vs. Botswana high holiday season over New Year but possibly more game? what do you think?

Mozambique islands anyone any experience?

MT beds again has anyone had this work for them I see some very good deals on their web site but 'm britsh not from SA

Any help much appreciated

Yvonne
Nov 16th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Please help! I have to decide soon, Y
Nov 16th, 2005, 06:46 AM

Zambia. I was actually researching this for you since I don't know how it will work with your child. How old is your child?

I think most lodges will accept a child that is of a certain age, providing that you get your own vehicle. I have an e-mail into Luangwa River Lodge to get an answer on their age limit for children.

Kafunta River Lodge is very child friendly, and being that I just ran into the owner, Anke Cowan, on a game drive a couple months ago, with her 5 year old son, Luke, I am sure that they would be most accomodating. It is a nice place and it is where I stayed on my own initial visit to South Luangwa.

www.luangwa.com

Feel free to e-mail me to discuss further.
Nov 16th, 2005, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Rocco, she is 11, Luangwe River lodge say they are happy to have her the question is what the weather and game will be like in Zambia vs Botwana in Dec/ jan, Thanks so much Y
Nov 16th, 2005, 07:04 AM

Botswana is going to be HOT. Rain is possible, but considering they get about two inches a year you might be lucky to witness a thunderstorm.

Zambia is not markedly different, however and since you'll be further east, liklihood of rain is greater, however of greater concern is your ability to get around the parks. SLV had a proliferation of black cotton soil, which when wet is impassable.

If I were you and I explored that area in Dec, i would gravitate toward Mfuwe Lodge. The road network around the main gate is better maintained, elevated above the palins, staying reasonably dry also this attracts the game roadside.

You might consider discussing your air plans with Air Waves, or the other Zambian charter carrier, I know that they have the capacity to fly you to Pemba beach, which is in Northern Mozambique. This would be a charter, however since there are a couple of you travelling, might come in less expensive than flyin Lusaka or LVI JnB and onward to either Vilanculos or Maputo.

In the event that you hit the coast, you should have a look at rani Resorts, they have made a big impact on the coastal ldging scene. Indigo bay, probably your best bet after Pemba beach or Matemo Island Resort, which is just a short flight from Pemba.

If the Indigo Bay area appeals to you, flights into Vilanculos is your best bet, you could also consider Marlin Lodge and or Bengurra Island lodge.

Search this Thread