Search

Capetown Questions

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Capetown Questions

Hi there:

I am planning a trip to Capetown in early Febuary so I only have about 2 weeks left before leaving from Europe. I would greatly appreciate a detailed reply to the following questions.

I am tring to find the cheapest flights possible to capetown...what is the best website(s) you would recommend for that?

I also read that Capetown and South Africa in general can be quite dangerous...or is this blown out of proportions? I heard the waterfront is the best place to stay in Capetown because it is central and safe..other people say long street is unsafe but lively...what do you think?

I am thinking to stay in Capetown 2-3 weeks and in this time do some trips around the area...you think that is too much time for Capetown?

For those of you who have been in Capetown, how did you move about in South Africa...did you rent a car or by taxi or bus?

Any other suggestions with regard to Capetown and South Africa travels would be greatly appreciated such as National Parks and Game Reserves around the Capetown region within a few hours drive.

Thanks a lot for your help in answering my questions

Ciao,

Robert
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 05:45 PM

If you are spending two to three weeks in SA, for gameviewing you are best served to go to Kruger and neighboring private reserves. I don't think the Cape Town area is going to be as good for game reserves...
Old Jan 22nd, 2008, 02:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi. cosmo'guy,

i just answered anothe rthread asknig about 2-3 days in CPt and replied that I'd spend a month there if I could so, 2-3 weeks seems fine to me.

of course, you'll want to spend some time travelling out of the city - I'd have loved to have the time to head north into Namaqualand, look round constantia, have a proper look at the cape peninsular and the winelands - teh list is endless.

if you are staying that long, mightn'y an apartment be a better bet - even at this short notice, I'd be surprised if you couldn't find something.

as for safety, we and our kids walked round the centre through some not very salubrious areas on the way to the castle, and round the back of the law courts, and then all the way down Long street, and had no problems at all.

to go out in the evening [we were staying at the Radisson], we used cabs, but mainly because in July it got dark so early. and the cabs are very cheap.

the waterfront is nice but not real - though we ate in a couple of good restaurants there. i wpould want to stay in town if I was there for any length of time.

regards, ann
Old Jan 23rd, 2008, 10:04 AM

If you really want to come to the Cape for 2-3 weeks you might want to spend at least some of that time out of Cape town itself. We are staying for 7 weeks this year (third time) in Gordon's Bay, about 40 minutes from Cape town, where we rent an apartment. It works for us because it's by the ocean, pretty, and near the wine areas. Much easier for getting around than having to get out of Cape town every time you want to go somewhere. there are other places on False Bay - Simonstown, Muizenberg etc., but we didn't find them as well located for getting around.

Definitely have a look for apartments - the first time we came we had only a few weeks notice, and managed to find something comfortable and well located.

We also don't find this area dangerous. In Gordon's Bay people walk on the beach at night, a clear sign that they don't feel threatened. don't know that I would, but certainly we find it very safe here. The only times we worry are when we're back home reading all the scare stories by other people. Once we're here, it just seems normal - just pay attention to where you are and where you want to go
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

I already found and booked a great flight for February 10th. Now I have a much more important issue and I am starting to get a little nervous.

Some of you have mentioned it might be better to get an apartment since I will be in Capetown for 4 weeks.

I have no idea how to go about it. I am on a limited budget and need to find something this week. I would prefer to live in the Greenpoint or Waterfront area, but I am flexible with regard to this.

What are some of the best places to look for cheap appartments in Capetown? I need to know this fast.

Thanks in advance for a quick reply

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 10:26 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi guy,

out of interest i googled "apartments in CPT" and found a load of companies. the first I clicked on was called "fleewinter" and whilst their properties may be a bit more than you want to pay, they have some good ideas about the different districts which may prove helpful.

also, you may be able to strike a last minute deal as you're arriving so soon.

good luck!

regards, ann

Old Jan 30th, 2008, 12:15 PM

Hello Cosmopolitanguy

I am in Capetown during March and through my work with conservation orgs, (www.safaritalk.net) I highly recommend you visit Drakenstein Lion Park run by Paul Hart. This is not a zoo, nor petting park, but a sanctuary for lions rescued from the canned hunting industry. You can stay overnight with the lions, see here:

www.lionrescue.org.za/accommodation.htm

You can see a video on Youtube about his work:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pVYyAJ1q_g

And read Paul's interview on Safaritalk here:

www.safaritalk.net/index.php?showtopic=406

Drakenstein is 30 minutes from Cape Town.

Matt
Old Feb 4th, 2008, 02:17 AM

Hi Cosmopolitan guy

Have a look at De Waterkant they do a lot of little self catering places that are very reasonable in Cape Town.