5 weeks South Africa-sugg. on what not to miss

Sep 9th, 2005, 01:30 AM
Original Poster

5 weeks South Africa-sugg. on what not to miss

My husband and I will be in South Africa for 5 weeks arriving Nov 1st. We arrive in Joburg and plan on going up to Kruger and then traveling down and over to Cape Town-also going thru Lesotho and Swaziland. We are renting a car for 4 wks and will dump it in Cape Town as we won't need it there and will take a train back to Joburg to catch our flight to Sydney. We will stay in small hotels, hostels and some camping. I've just started reading our Lonely planet book to research exactly where to go. Our budget is low to moderate.
Please let us know what you recommend (cities,towns, hotels,parks, beaches etc)which are not to be missed.
Cheers.
Sep 9th, 2005, 10:19 AM

Hello,

A great source for nice low-cost B&B and guesthouse accommodation is the Portfolio Collection, www.portfoliocollection.com

The Panorama Route is a wonderful drive through the area of Mpumalanga adjacent to Kruger. There are a number of viewpoints with superb views over the park -- on a good day, you can see all the way to Mozambique. There are also little country towns to visit, and some fascinating animal rehabilitation projects -- Moholoholo is particularly good.

If you enjoy wine and wine-tasting, a visit to the Cape Winelands is a must. I would recommend basing yourself in Franschhoek -- it's the most centrally located of the three main winelands towns, and has the best restaurants. You can visit Stellenbosch and pet the cheetahs at Spier.

Drive down to Cape Point and see the Cape of Good Hope. On the way there, stop off at Boulders to see the friendly, funny penguins. If you have a sensitive nose, stay upwind!

On the Garden Route, I loved Storms River Valley and the Tsitsikamma Forest, as well as the Knysna area, where the Featherbeds Nature Reserve has nice abseiling opportunities. Great places if you enjoy walking in natural surroundings.

Cheers,
Julian
Sep 9th, 2005, 04:22 PM

My husband and I spent two months wandering Southern Africa (including Botswana and Zambia) in April and May of this year.
Places not to miss are Oudtshoorn (ostriches and stroking of cheetahs) and the Swartzberg Pass; the canopy zip line of Howick (Midlands); Addo Elephant Park and tenting.
We found self catering houses by using the Information centers in each town (be there before 4 p.m.) Our budget was $50 a night, for which the range was from full apartments to four bedroom houses (to ourselves); to a log chalet on Port Alfred beach. Now I must admit April and May are slow months; November may be more busy. We did not book anything ahead (except an apartment in Cape Town for $50 a night).
Get local advice on Lesotho - we were advised not to travel in that country because of stoning of cars.
Our favourite towns were Knysna and Plettenberg Bay.

Sep 10th, 2005, 07:47 AM

You may want to keep your car while in Cape Town -- it is easier to get around with a car.
Sep 10th, 2005, 07:56 AM

We spent 5 weeks in SA last year. I'm not online for long at the moment so havent time to find links but if you search on "long report" you should find my report of where we went and stayed...

I'll be back on broadband in a week and would be happy to help more, if i can, then.
Sep 13th, 2005, 02:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. This info will ne helpful in out research....
Kavey-I will check out your report!

Search this Thread