Cape Town Restaurants

Old May 5th, 2002, 07:58 PM
DiDi

Cape Town Restaurants

My husband and I are staying in Cape Town for 2 1/2 days at the end our Botswana Safari. We are looking for restaurant recommendations in and around the city. We will be hiring a car so distance is not a problem. Would prefer to stay away from the usual touristy places. Also, casual dress is a must as we will be traveling very light.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

DiDi

Old May 6th, 2002, 01:25 AM
james

The Grande Roche in Paarl - about an hour from Cape Town is one of SA's best. Constantia Uitsig is fabulous with a wonderful setting too. The 'touristy' places in town like Blue's in Camps Bay and the seafood places in the middle of the docks (cant remember the name) are really very good. In the bowl, try Savoy Cabbage or Five Flies. I've always found dreary food anywhere in the Waterfront - including the posh hotels - avoid.

Old May 6th, 2002, 07:42 PM
DiDi

Thank you for the restaurant recommendations. Are there any within the city limits? We will just be returning from 13 days on a camping safari and probably will not want to venture too far out.

Thanks in advance.

DiDi

Old May 7th, 2002, 10:55 AM
james

DiDi

They are all close to the 'City Bowl' except for The Grande Roche which is an easy 45 minute drive out of town on the N1.

Old May 8th, 2002, 04:50 AM
Lisa

We love the grilled calimari at Willoughby's in the Waterfront Mall. at least we did, a few years ago.

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:28 PM
DiDi

Thanks to all for the recommendations. We will soon be on our way to Africa.

Will post my experiences when I return.

DiDi

Old May 9th, 2002, 10:30 PM
sandy

Hi Di Di,

If you hire the guide I told you about, he will be able to recommend all sorts of wonderful places to eat. I had one of the best meals of my life at Constantia Eutsig, a wine farm about 45 minutes from Cape Town. Also, Two Oceans, on the road to the Cape of Good Hope, is excellent!

Old May 12th, 2002, 04:57 AM
james

The place I referred to in the Docks is called Panama Jacks. Quite expensive, but the seafood really is superb.

Old May 14th, 2002, 05:22 PM
saleem

Hi there

Try Bukhara's for exquisite Indian cuisine. The Butter chicken is a must. They are located in the central business district. Check the telephone directory for exact location.

For finger licking seafood try "Ocean Basket" and order the seafood platter for 2. A thousand times tastier than the famous Legal Sea Foods in Boston. There are branches all over Cape Town. The one in Kloofnek has a very awespiring relaxed setting at the back (open air).

Hope this helps.

Old Jun 11th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Evelyntrav

We ate at Mama Africa and really enjoyed eating the local game since none of it was served on our safari to Botswana. We had kudu, springbok, ostrich and crocodile tail, delicious except for the crocodile tail. If you decide to go to this restaurant, do make reservations as it is very popular with both local people and tourists.

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 03:55 AM
Lisa

Evelyn,
where in Cape town is Ma Africa? thanks

Old Jun 12th, 2002, 04:00 AM
evelyntrav

Mama Africa is in the heart of the city in Cape Town, a 10 minute ride from the waterfront area. If I remember correctly, it was on Long Street.