Can I bring prescription xanax to israel

Mar 9th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Original Poster

Can I bring prescription xanax to israel

A friend told me that my prescription for xanax would be confiscated at the airport. Is this true? Even if it's checked in my luggage?
Thanks
Mar 9th, 2012, 07:43 PM

I cannot think of a single reason why you cannot .
Mar 9th, 2012, 07:59 PM

It's amazing what advice "friends" give about Israel ....
Mar 10th, 2012, 02:58 AM

travel.state.gov Israel good info.
Always wise to declare controlled meds
and do not "hide " them or mix meds.
Small quantities for personal use
with a doctor's note of medical need and pharmacy records
are usually fine. Amazing things do occur in nearby
Arab countries specifically Dubai/UAE your friend would be correct about those airports.

Good luck!
Mar 10th, 2012, 03:00 AM

www.dubai-online.com/essential/customs.htm
Tourists failing to adhere to them can expect lengthy prison sentences. ... ArabianBusiness.com - Surge in number of British tourists arrested for drugs ..... any of my international tourist dollars since I am prescribed Xanax and take it for anxiet
Mar 10th, 2012, 09:13 AM
wj1

I carried them in the original bottle in my carry on. I never gave them a second thought and neither did security/customs. Given how thorough their security is, I'm sure they would have found them if they were looking for them. Did your friend tell you why she thought they would seized? I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about it. Unless, of course, you are bringing in thousands.
Mar 10th, 2012, 09:19 AM
Original Poster

I'm actually asking on behalf of my daughter. It was her friend who spent time in Israel who told her this. Maybe it was a different set of circumstances, such as they weren't in the original bottle or something. I was surprised, but you never know. Thanks so much for your responses. One less thing to worry about.
Mar 10th, 2012, 09:50 AM

I searched for "prescription" on the Tripadvisor Israel forum. Some comments:

"I take several prescription drugs and always bring the needed supply with me to Israel. I have never had to do anything "extra" in order to enter the country."

"NO need to declare your personal medicines. I travel with quite alot because of health conditions and have never had any problem. I also carry them in my handbag so security sees them."
Mar 10th, 2012, 11:03 AM

I can only wonder at the circumstances that brought about this perplexing suggestion.

Thousands of tourists enter Israel every day, many with a tremendous variety of prescription medications and all without any difficulties. Obviously, when traveling anywhere the best idea is to keep the meds in their original containers - and if you have any further worries bring a letter from your doctor listing the prescription meds that you take on a regular basis.

Personally, I have never heard of anyone having their meds confiscated or even questioned.
Mar 10th, 2012, 04:40 PM

Once you land in Israel, it would be unusual for a tourist to have their luggage opened. When you pick up your bags, you will most likely go through the green "nothing to declare" lanes and probably 90% of people walk straight through. Customs is much more likely to stop an Israeli who might be bringing in more than the alotted duty free items, not an obvious tourist.
Of course, it is always a good idea to carry the prerscriptions in original bottles, and carry only a reasonable amount--don't bring a 3 month supply if you're only leaving home for a week!
Mar 12th, 2012, 02:22 AM

Israel is a friend of America! It is war protected not war torn!
As a matter of fact, Teva, an Israeli drug manufacturer
sells the most generic drugs in the USA.
When the national health insurance bill passes there will be a generic prescription plan and I am sure it will be Teva who gets the contract.
See?
Friends of America.
Make sure they don't stamp your passport if you are traveling to other Arab nations or else entry will be denied.
Apr 14th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Eli

Take a Xanax and calm down... of course you'll be able to bring it in. No need even to declare it!

Search this Thread