travel to Israel still safe?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have just read that there are new warnings from the state dept. about travel to Israel. I think there have been some new Bin Laden posts. I am determined that terrorists will not stop us from living our travel dreams, but am wondering just how worried we should be. Any info. and/or reassurances will be appreciated. Perry and Shirley
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 11:29 AM

The US State Dept tends to be extremely overly cautious and has been warning of travel risks in Israel that have not existed for decades.

The simplest and easiest way to put it is that Israel is safe. Much safer than the average large city in the US.

To begin with Israel is very security conscious. You will see this right from the start when you board your plane where-ever that may be for your flight to Israel. You will notice it upon arrival here and I must add that what you don't notice is much more prevalent.

As a tour guide I travel all around Israel all the time and mostly to areas that are popular venues for our visitors. Your greatest concerns will be keeping cool when it is hot here, making sure that you drink enough water so that you don't get de-hydrated, and trying to squeeze all the wonderful things you want to do and places you want to see into a short time.

Relax, make your plans and come to Israel - we're waiting to welcome you - and you'll have an amazing time.
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Oreet-Thank you for telling us what we really already knew deep inside. We just needed to hear someone say it. What you told me is what I tell everyone here when they ask if we are taking a risk going to Israel-We will be much safer there than in south Dallas.
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:15 PM

There is a military/security presence everywhere you go in Israel, be it the public market or the tiny restaurant. Might a car bomb go off while you're visiting? Anything's possible but one almost went off in Times Square.

Israel is fantastic and spiritual like no other place imaginable. Live your dreams.
anita
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

Anita-I absolutely agree with you. The unthinkable can happen anywhere. One of my sisters thinks we are crazy to even fly these days. She won't do it. I told her that if we allow terrorists to keep us from doing the things we saved for and dreamed about doing, we're giving them a small victory. And thank you for the great report about Israel. Only 31 days until departure!
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 02:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new warnings from the state dept. are for all foreign travel and popular tourist spots. They won't keep us home!
Old Oct 2nd, 2010, 06:14 PM

The State Department warnings are worthless. Sad thing is if they were ever really needed no one would ever believe them--case of the boy who cried Wolf--

There have been some problems in Israel the past week. It had to do with the peace talks. However, any area where there were problems is not an area where tourists would end up. If G-d forbid there was something happening in an area where tourists would go, the police would have it blocked off. The last thing Israel wants is tourists getting involved or hurt.

Personally I have been to Israel through thick and thin. The most difficult part of being there during these times is convincing people back in the US that what they are reading in the American Newspaper and what I am seeing on the ground are totally opposite.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 03:51 AM
Original Poster

The reason I posted is that I would hopefully hear from people who actually have been there, some of you many times, and you would tell me how things truly are right now. It is good to hear that things are just as safe as ever, and I can continue to prepare and feel that excitement and joy that always is a part of the preparation. Only 30 days until departure!
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:35 AM

My sister and her hubby leave this week for 4/week holiday as they do three or four times a year. If either of them felt it wasn't safe, they wouldn't. A nephew and neice with their young families live in Israel and feel perfectly safe. If it were otherwise, they'd be back Stateside in a New York minute!

The State Dept warnings have to be issued, but remember... they're "warnings" not DO NOT TRAVEL. Unfortunately, nowadays warnings hold for travel anywhere in the world.

Go and enjoy as I know you will.
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 05:48 AM

The State Department just ( a few hours ago) issued warnings re: Europe. I wonder how many people will not go. ( doubtful any) 1965--I travel back and forth. At this moment my brother-sister-in-law and one nephew are visiting Israel ( or maybe on a plane back to the US--not sure) My other nephew is starting his third year of learning in Israel. Believe me, if it wasn't safe he would be on that plane with his parents---he isn't, they left him and possibly, if they found a Yeshiva they liked, they also left their second son!!
Old Oct 21st, 2010, 04:25 AM

I don't know why many people have the impression that Israel is so dangerous.
It's a safe country to visit, believe me, more people here are killed in car acsidents than in terror attacks.
You should go on with your travel plans and visit Israel, we have many historical sites, holy places and beautiful nature, and let's not forget the largest natural spa in the area- the Dead sea, which has been chosen as one of the 28 finalists in the new7wonders of nature (if you can support the nomination here http://www.votedeadsea.com)