Camera/Lense Help - Going to B&H today

Old Apr 27th, 2006, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camera/Lense Help - Going to B&H today

I'm planning to get a new SLR Digital Camera - I'm looking at the Nikon D70 and new lenses - the one that comes with it the 18-70 and another lense the Sigma 80-300. My brother-in-law has this camera and really likes it. I'm unclear about what lense to buy, type and brand?. Do I need to bring more than one lense? I'm going on safari - with husband and 3 teenagers. I'm also going to buy the new Sony HDTV HC3 video camera. I live outside New York City so I'm going to B&H to check things out. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 06:13 AM

I am actually on the phone with B&H right now trying to track down the camera I ordred last week. Just be prepared that the store is very organized chaos. They will ship out of state to save you tax if you are in CT or NJ.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 06:44 AM

BA Cooking

Few questions:

Do you already own any SLR lenses of a specific brand that ties you into Nikon?

If not, this is the point at which to make the decision on which brand you want to go with as, once you start buying lenses, you'll have a vested interest in sticking with that same brand when you upgrade the camera body.

On a more specific note, I owned the Nikon D70 for 2 years. In the main I was happy with it and I found it's user interface particularly intuitive. I sold it recently as my husband and I have switched to Canon and now use the 20D. We didn't switch because we hated the Nikon - far from it, and I still think it's interface beats the Canon range hands down - but because we had some glitches with autofocus on our longer lens and had reason to believe it wasn't a problem isolated to our cheap lens. But who knows. We also like the fact that there are cheap, mid range and very high quality lenses to choose from with Canon and that, because they have such a big market share, there are always second-hand deals to be found too. As many of our friends also have Canon, as do many pros who we holiday with, it makes it easier to share lenses being on the same system. So that's why we switched.

BUT I'm confident that most people would be just as happy with Nikon as with Canon for most purposes. It's a well regarded brand.

I assume you'd be buying the D70s not the D70? A slight upgrade to the software rather than hardware change, I believe.

Oh, and the kit lens that comes with the Nikon, at least when we bought ours, is a GOOD lens. Very good. The kit lens that comes with Canon cameras in the same range is a piece of crap and I advise Canon buyers to buy the body only without the kit lens and buy lenses separately. With the Nikon, the kit lens is good.

A bit random on my thoughts there so don't know if it helps but there you go.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 07:31 AM

As an owner of the Nikon series, I am one of those people who are happy with the Nikon brand. I have both Nikon film SLR's and the digitals, Nikon D70 and D2X. The D70 is very user friendly.

I would recommend, if you can afford it, for a couple of hundred dollars more buy the D200 of which I will soon be doing to replace my D70.

On the lens side, I only have the Nikkor brand lenses so I can't give any first-hand experience on Sigma lenses but have heard they are very good.

Hope this helps.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 07:48 AM
Original Poster

Thank you to everyone who has posted information on the camera. I will look at other options. Right now the last two cameras I've owned have been Canon regular SLR cameras, not digital. The last one being a Rebel which I have been happy with. However, that being said, in my research it appears the Nikon has a much longer battery life so that is why I was leaning toward it. We will be in various safari camps and I wasn't sure about charging, given that I have the new video camera to charge too. One other important question, is the 300 lens sufficient enough or do I need to get a 400 lens. I also am worried about too much equipment to handle so I don't want to get carried away. Thanks again for any help posted.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 08:58 AM

The Nikon D70 DOES have an INCREDIBLY battery life... on our 9 week trip to Africa the battery lasted more than two weeks before I had to change it and I didn't exactly stint on taking pictures...

The Canon 20D battery is reasonably good but, true, not as long lasting as the Nikon.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:12 AM

But - to play the devil's advocate, you've already got Canon lenses, right? And would you really base this decision on battery life? Just a question. It's important, of course... decisions, decisions!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 11:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
We went to New York City for spring break last year and visiting B&H was one of things we did. What a fun experience. I'm just glad we weren't in a hurry because we couldn't get anything done quickly. Crazy place!

Good luck on your camera choice/purchase.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 01:52 PM

If you already have an investment in Canon lenses, it really makes sense to stay in that system. Additionally, if you have other Canon film bodies, you can take one along as a backup to the digital SLR. If, heaven forbid, you should drop or break your DSLR, you would still have a camera body you can use to take pictures with your lenses.

Battery life isn't what I'd base the decision on. You can get cheap, generic versions of the Canon DSLR batteries on eBay and just carry a couple extra. Try both systems and see which one feels better in terms of ergonomics and basic handling. If you're used to the Canon Rebel, then the Canon Digital Rebel will be very familar to you.

In terms of lenses, 300mm is the minimum for most wildlife applications (I'm speaking in general, since I haven't been to Africa yet, but have done my share of photography in US national parks). More is almost always better. Though, bear in mind that these digital SLR's have a built in crop factor. So, that 300mm lens becomes the equivalent of a 480mm lens with the 1.6 crop factor you'll find in most Canon SLRs. That should be sufficient for your purposes, though you will undoubtedly wish for more on occasion.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 02:06 PM

You have received a lot of good advice here but let me add a little bit of info to help in your decision, Nikon vs Canon. First let me state that I have recently changed over to Canon from Nikon. In fact I sold three SLR bodies and a number of Nikon lenses. Therefore I am probably quite biased in favor of Canon. Both make good cameras but I think Canon has the edge when it comes to lens selection, image stabilization and autofocus. This is just my opinion and I know that each camp has its own supporters. However, this issue of battery life needs to be addressed. The Canon system use active image stabilization and autofocus to a greater extent then many of the Nikon combinations. There is a vast difference in battery demand when you invoke image stabilization and constant autofucus. Even then I get two full days of shooting out of a single battery when I turn off auto review (review on the LCD) after each exposure. You can buy several inexpesive aftermarket batteries (about $11 each from stirlingtek) and forget about daily recharging while on Safari. I would strongly urge you to look at the Canon D30 if considering the Nikon D70s. Thge Nikon D200 is a differnt matter and I think it is a fine camera but the Nikon lens lineup is just not as good and the availability of image stabilized lenses is just not in the Nikon lineup. I would suggest you look at zoom lenes that go out to 400mm. The crop factor in these digital SLR will give you even more reach (up to 640mm with the Canon 20D). You will want that reach for anything smaller than large carnivores, buffalo, impala etc. For birds and many of the more elusive (e.g.leopards) at least 400mm. When you go to B & H ask the salesman to show you how activate constant autofocus. Focus on moving subjects out the store window and see how the camera responds. Rapid focus and low iso noise is where the Canon shines. Good luck.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Well, I went to B&H but haven't made a final decision yet. After careful though I'm now leaning more toward the Canon, given that I already have some canon lenses and have been very happy with my last camera a regular Rebel camera.Now I'm leaning toward the Rebel XT and then purchasing a 70-300 Image Stabilizing lens. I also might add the 1.4 converter as well. Does that make sense to all you camera experts. I am no expert by any means, I just want a camera I can use easily when we return from Africa to take my kids doing sports, etc. Thanks for any more help. I'm going back to B&H Sunday morning.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 08:54 AM

I would urge you to go with Canon as well. I did do a lot of research before I got all my gear. Nothing against Nikon, but it seemed as others have pointed out that Canon may have the edge in lenses and other technology such as the digic processor. Have you visited Fred Miranda forums? You can get top-notch used lenses, cameras, and more on the buy and sell section. You can also resell things very easily when you return. I have purchased my back-up 20D and several lenses, filters, my monopod ballhead... on that forum and I've sold several things as well. For not a lot more $$$ you could get yourself a 20D and the 100-400L lens. Then resell the lens when you get back if you can part with it. You can e-mail me at [email protected] if you want more info. This is an incredible resource and the 20Ds have come down in cost because of the newly released 30D. Just more food for thought - sorry if I muddied the waters!~
Sharon
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 09:01 AM

Just want to add and emphasize that I am talking about lightly used equipment - the 100-400 I bought was the only item that had some paint scratches on the barrel, but still works great. So it's not like you're buying crummy gear.
Cheerio,
Sharon
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 10:06 AM

bacooking, Cooncat3 makes a lot of sense, if you decide to stay with Canon. The 100-400 mm IS L lens is a great safari lens. Many people wait until after their first safari before deciding to buy it. As good quality glass goes, it is not too awfully priced. You could always sell it once you returned and the overall cost would probably seem insignificant each time you viewed your pictures. Sigma makes a good but less expensive alternative; might not have the resale value should you decide to sell. The Canon 20D is a good buy right now, unless you think a larger LCD screen might be helful. In that case I would look at the new 30D, a few hundred dollars more with only minor advantages over the 20D (larger LCD screen). I buy on the internet from B&H all the time. They are a good company but they tend to be a bit indifferent to specific customer requirements or needs. I would not rely on the salesman to help in your final decision. In general this Fodor forum RE: safari photography or the Fred Miranda Forum (general Photography) are great resources. Also, Google Andy Biggs and look over his website for some really top notch information and help in selecting safari photo gear.
Cheers, CJ
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 10:59 PM

I wouldn't bother with the 1.4 TC and the 70-300 combination. You lose autofocus with that combination since the 70-300 has a max aperature greater than f/4.0. I hear very good things about the 70-300 in terms of image quality. I just wouldn't pair it with the TC. Besides, the 1.6 crop factor gives you an equivalent 480mm lens, which should be enough.

As noted, another option is to look for a used 100-400mm IS lens, and perhapse resell it when you get back.
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 05:12 AM

I agree about the 1.4 TC. Also, I've been practicing with my 100-400 and I don't think I'd want any less focal length than that. More of my 2 cents worth!
Do let us know what you decide to go with!
Sharon
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 05:26 AM

Cooncat (1, 2, and 3),

Are you cloning yourself?

Personally, I think that the vast majority of non-birders will be fine with a 400mm equivalent (which means a 250mm lens if you are working with a 1.6x digital crop factor. On my trips, there were only 2 or 3 times where I've wanted more reach than that. So a 70-200 f/2.8 plus 1.4x TC would be fine.

NB that I have travelled exclusively in Southern Africa, where off-road driving is the norm. If you are going to an East African park where you are restricted to roads, the argument for a longer lens becomes much stronger.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Apr 30th, 2006, 10:21 AM

Jules - some of us lost our connections and had to re-register. I missplaced my original password, hence the new moniker!

Do you have Friday May 26 blocked out on your calendar? It'll be here before we know it, then you'll be off shortly after that!!!!!
Old May 1st, 2006, 08:52 AM

bacooking - inquiring minds want to know...have you made any decisions or purchases yet?